Firebase question

Just starting the process with Firebase and seeing what it can do. Is it possible to send a cloud message and then have the app open up to a specific screen or verse?

Thanks!

David

You may want to search the community on push messaging. One of the two results was Firebase Push Notifications - Help with implementation / documentation

Thanks. I have been able to successfully send push notifications. I was wondering if there was either a way to send a push notification and when the user opens the notification either there is an in-app message or it would take them to a specific chapter/verse.

Firebase allows in-app messages to be displayed on opening a notification. This would allow a notification about a verse of the day and the in-app message could display that verse.

It would be trickier I think to have the app open to a specific chapter or verse.

I saw that deep-linking is in the works. As far as I can tell 5.1 does not offer this feature currently. Is that still in the works?

Firebase allows in-app messages to be displayed on opening a notification. This would allow a notification about a verse of the day and the in-app message could display that verse.

I was exactly thinking about that today, any timeframe?

Cheers

Francoz

Dear SAB community,
I’ve successfully got firebase ‘Cloud Messagaging’ to work for push notifications, but I would love to get ‘In App notifications’ working as well (my test did not work). My use case is that ONLY ‘In App notifications’ can send a clickable hyperlink - I would like app users basically to be able to communicate by clicking through to facebook messenger or some other method. Its more appropriate for us to contact people who have shown interest by downloading the app, rather than asking them to register before using it at all

Could any of the developers comment as to:

1. Is ‘Cloud Messaging’ implemented in SAB (maybe I’m doing something wrong)?
  2. If not, is this something you would consider implementing?

Thanks

Andy

We have done that manually by combining features of Push Notifications and Deferred Deep linking.

Enabled Firebase Push notifications option in SAB and setup Firebase.

Then used Firebase Cloud messaging feature, and at the end of the notification text, added the deep link.

Eg :

Lent Lectionary - Day 32
Today’s Reading portion
https://lent2020.app.link/XXA.31

When user clicks on the Push notification (that arrives in his phone at the time of reading), he will be taken to the specific passage.

The same was also tried with Verse of the Day notification by adding the deep link of the reference at the end of the verse in push notification.

I heard that the upcoming version of SAB has the in-built Verse of the Day feature
(push notification of deep-linked verses from a list of pre-filled Bible verses, even if the user is offline!)