Hearthis sync problem

I am based in the US and my translation team is based in Africa. On a recent visit, I asked the team to record the book of Luke using Hearthis with their computer. They state that “Sync” is not working’ Also, when I try to use “sync” on my computer, I have an error show up almost every time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Art Aviles

Are you saying that you are trying to “Sync” the files between an Android smartphone (with HearThis for Andoid installed on it) and the laptop (with HearThis for the PC installed)?

If not, then please explain what exactly you are trying to use “Sync” for. [My best guess is that you are trying to “sync” their work with your computer (like Paratext’s Send/Recv does), but that’s not what the “sync” button is for. HearThis doesn’t have that kind of feature enabling teams to collaborate remotely with each other, or even two laptops in the same office (AFAIK).]

If you are trying to “Sync” between the smartphone and the laptop, then the first thing that I would check is that BOTH devices are connected to the same WiFi network.

Thank you for your response. You are correct, I have the translation team doing the recording in Chad, Africa on a computer, and I am in the States on a computer. I also installed the app on my phone. So if I understand you correctly, I have no easy way of getting the recordings from my team in Africa. I was hoping to get the recordings to put them into Scripture App builder and get them on my phone to start with, and them on nationals phones in the future. We are trying to record Luke at the moment and then Genesis.

I was in Chad a few weeks ago and tried syncing my phone with their computer via cell phone with data, and it seemed to indicate that it was working. Wifi networks are pretty much not available in Chad. Almost everyone uses data from cell phones.

Any advice you could give would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Art

On 7/12/2018 10:10 PM, Mark Penny wrote:

[mjpenny] mjpenny
July 13

Are you saying that you are trying to “Sync” the files between an Android smartphone (with HearThis for Andoid installed on it) and the laptop (with HearThis for the PC installed)?

If not, then please explain what exactly you are trying to use “Sync” for. [My best guess is that you are trying to “sync” their work with your computer (like Paratext’s Send/Recv does), but that’s not what the “sync” button is for. HearThis doesn’t have that kind of feature enabling teams to collaborate remotely with each other, or even two laptops in the same office (AFAIK).]

If you are trying to “Sync” between the smartphone and the laptop, then the first thing that I would check is that BOTH devices are connected to the same WiFi network.

Visit Topic to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

I have a couple of more questions. Is it possible that I could receive the team’s recordings if they sync their computer with my android, followed by me syncing my android with my computer? Also, what is the best way for me to listen to what has been recorded (assuming their computer syncs to my android)?
Thanks,
Art

Starting in version 2.0, under the “More…” menu in the top right, you will find commands to “Save HearThisPack” and “Merge HearThisPack”. This is the easiest way to transfer recorded files between machines. It will warn you that you want to make sure you have the exact same version of the text before doing so.

And I will warn you that this feature is new and probably doesn’t have much (any?) field testing.
Proceed with caution (and backups).

Andrew

Thank you for writing. So does this mean that I cannot access these recordings unless I am at the same place as those doing the recordings? I am in the US, and the team is in Africa. They completed the recordings, and I want to get them on my computer to use with Scripture App builder.

Thanks for the help!
Art

On the team’s machine(s), run “Save HearThisPack” which will create a single file (with .HearThisPack extension) which will contain all the recordings. The team should send this to you via email, Dropbox, Drive, or similar. Then you should be able to “Merge HearThisPack” to import those recordings into your local project.

Please ensure you have made backups before attempting this.

Thanks! That is a great help.

I plan to proceed as suggested but what is the best way to make a backup for the team?

Thank you!
Art

From the HearThis release notes:

What to Back Up
HearThis stores a separate WAV file for each script line, indefinitely. When you “Export”, it gathers these up, joins them into chapters, and then converts them to the format you choose. The individual WAV files are stored in the Program Data folder, under the SIL\HearThis directory. For example, on Windows 7, Genesis chapter 1 of the Good News UK would be stored here: C:\ProgramData\SIL\HearThis\GNTUK\Genesis\1. This location needs to be backed up (a future version of MyWorkSafe will do that automatically). If for some reason you need to get at these files, for example to delete them or run some audio cleanup process over them, feel free to do so.

Note: C:\ProgramData is usually a hidden folder. You can find it by showing hidden folders or simply typing the path in Windows Explorer.

Note: I think the comment about “future MyWorkSafe” is obsolete. I’m pretty sure the current default configuration for MyWorkSafe is set up to back up the is folder. If you use MyWorkSafe, you could check the configuration to be sure.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Important to note that currently, the syncing between HearThis Android and HearThis desktop transfers the text from desktop to Android and the audio from Android to desktop. The app developer was concerned that transferring the audio (recorded on the desktop or another Android device) to the Android device might take up too much memory. This is still true with the recently released HT Android v. 1.0.1. But given more devices with larger storage capacity, it’s probably time to start thinking about allowing the option of syncing audio both directions.