Interacting with Render

How exactly do we identify a file recorded in Render?

I know the path is C:\Render\PROJECT ID\Audio. However, how do we identify the specific file that is desired?

I don’t have a direct answer to your question but I am not sure I understand it completely. One render user said they had an audio file with a name like this: R_YMR_SCO_42_Luke_002_21-40_SET10_PASSAGE1.mp3. With the current Alpha 3 release, if you wanted to transcribe this individual file, you would create a project (which would optionally be associated with the Paratext project where you would like the transcription to appear). Then you would add a task for this recording. From the Task Details panel, you would browse and select this audio file. One the information is entered, you can back out of the task details panel (which will save) and back out of the project settings (which are saved), and you would then see the task in the “To Do” list. Click on the task to claim it and assign it to yourself, press the play button to hear the first part of the recording. When you have heard as much as you can remember, click pause and then type what you heard. (Of course with the foot pedal, the play and pause, as well as skip back and skip ahead can be controlled with your foot while your fingers remain on the keyboard.) As you type, your transcriptions are saved so if you exit the program and come back, it should be where you left off. Once you are satisfied with your transcription, you can use the submit button to submit it for review. The task can then be reviewed by you or someone else. When the reviewer submits it, if the project is associated with Paratext and set to synchronize automatically, the transcription will be placed at the appropriate place in the Paratext project.

The alpha 3 release (coming out today) will allow the admin user to add all the tasks and recording of a render project. The recordings must be in a folder and named LUK-002-021-040.mp3 (to use the file from the previous reply as an example). The spreadsheet format must also follow a sample render spreadsheet we received (which is described in the help file). Then all the tasks will load at once.

There are 3 ways to use this “Add Many” feature: to add all the tasks without audio files and then use the Task Details to add the audio recordings as they become available or (2) to add all the audio files without the spreadsheet and then enter any headings you want to the task using the Task Details panel or (3) to add the task details and audio files for the project all at once.

Right… sorry for the vagueness of my question.

It seems as though the file names for our Render project and the one mentioned in your reply are very different. When I go to the Render/Audio folder, the file names I see are like this:

000a11de-5bf4-44f5-a23a-379f29bdc053.mp3

We are less than halfway through the Book of Luke and there are 3,721 audio files in this folder. Some are translations. Some are notes from one team to another. Some are UNS retellings. Some are consultant feedback. Etc.

Thus far, I have been unable to discern a file naming system that will allow me to identify a file as, for example, Passage 2 of Set 10. This makes it virtually impossible for me to find the file we are wanting to transcribe.

So my question is - does anybody know how to identify the file based on this naming system? Or is the naming system different for other projects (e.g. the one in the reply above)?

Thanks!

Chase, I was told that the authors of the Render program were planning a tool to allow users to export into a more readable format and that he tool was coming out “this fall” (before the beginning of the calendar year) but I haven’t heard any recent updates on this timeline. I guess you have to ask the question on the Render site. --Greg

I reached out to the dev team through my supervisor and got this reply:

We have nearly completed the feature and are testing currently whilst wrapping other things into the newest version. We have a projection of mid to late February for 2.2 which will include the audio export tool.