Audio files from FCBH Bible Brain

I am just starting to use the new FCBH Bible Brain (DBP4) for apps that contain audio. I’ve read various posts here, but I’m not finding the “one set of instructions to rule them all”… The instructions in the Audio section of the Building Apps PDF that come with the app or are found on the software.sil.org web site (https://software.sil.org/downloads/r/scriptureappbuilder/Scripture-App-Builder-02-Building-Apps.pdf) also seem to be out-of-date, not mentioning DBP4, referring to http://www.digitalbibleplatform.com/docs, which redirects to Bible Brain, but to a page not found.

So I’m wondering, could we gather here the basic information on using Audio files from Bible Brain? That might even be a resource for the developers in updating their documentation. I’ll start with my limited bit of knowledge…

The Bible Brain web site: Bible Brain - Faith Comes By Hearing
To request an API key: https://4.dbt.io/api_key/request

We don’t need to worry about the API interface, as those smart App Builder developers take care of those details for us. But we do need the Fileset ID. With DBP2 we could log in and through a somewhat convoluted process (still explained the PDF) get the ID. But that link in the PDF doesn’t work anymore. So how do we find the Fileset ID? It looks like there are programmatic ways to find it (see [Bible Brain] Example Workflows), but is there a web app that allows non-programmers to find it?

In addition, it sounds like the ogg/opus audio format is available for some projects in Bible Brain. I assume the Fileset ID specifies what format you want the audio files in? That will be critical for this app I’m making of the entire Bible, since the .mp3 files come in at 2.5Gb.

To use the resource in your app, in SAB go to Audio > File Source and click Add File Source. You can give it a name (I would suggest “FCBH Bible Brain”), then select FCBH Bible Brain from the Source drop-down menu. Then you fill in the details about the resource:

(There’s a link for requesting the API key right there as well.)

Another question I have: Can I go ahead and get started with synchronizing the audio with the text using the .mp3 files, and then switch over to the opus format later? Obviously the timing files would be the same, since they are the same audio, but I don’t know if there would be some quirk that would prevent me from switching over to the other format mid-stream.

Thanks for your input.

Jeff, If your mp3 files are identical (except for size) with your webm files I think you should be able to make timing files with the mp3 and the timings will work with the webm when you switch. I made an app that has Mark webm audio in the app, but uses the timings from the same mp3 files and the highlighting works correctly. In the past some phones had issues not being able to adjust speed of webm files, but I think that is working ok now.

I like you are waiting for FCBH to tell me the best settings to stream-download webm, although I have been able to stream and download webm files from the DBP 4 just specifying the filename.webm.

Thanks for starting this topic. Roger

Could you please elaborate a bit more exactly what how you do this, maybe with an example?

Although we don’t yet have instructions how to get the Fileset ID, you can see the list of available content here: Bible Brain Available Content.

If you have rights to build an app with FCBH audio, you can search and download our audio here: MP3 Downloads - Faith Comes By Hearing

The URL links to a search for audio in the Aari language, and the Fileset ID is at the end of the URL: AIWDPIN1DA

For .webm files, since they are 16k opus format, you will want to add -opus16 to end in SAB like this: AIWDPIN1DA-opus16.

This is a temporary solution, we’re looking into better solutions for the long term.

You can contact FCBH for a fileset id at support@digitalbibleplatform.com

Explain your organizational relationship (SIL ?). Usually if SIL did the translation, FCBH will share rights to the audio recording.

The web listing for the Bible Brain Content may not always be up to date. There may be new languages actually in the Brain, but not listed yet on the site. If FCBH did the recording or has approved a non-FCBH recording, you can ask them to expedite it being added to the Bible Brain and issue you a file set ID and API key.

Thanks @jbarndt and @rgreen620 for the helpful replies. I was able to use the link given (MP3 Downloads - Faith Comes By Hearing) to find my language recording, identify the Fileset ID (at the end of the URL), and in fact re-download it to make sure that what I had downloaded previously is the latest version.

My understanding is that this Fileset ID (SHUBSCN1DA, in my case) can be used in SAB to point to these audio files in .mp3 format, and if I want the ogg/opus format, I should add “-opus16” (SHUBSCN1DA-opus16, in my case).

I understand that I should be able to create the sync timing files using the .mp3 audio, but that they should apply to the opus16 format as well. @jbarndt Is there a way to download the opus16 files? We often distribute a folder with the audio files for people that install the app (copy to their phone, or on an SD card), and we obviously would want the opus16 format for distribution. I guess I could create an app, install it on my phone, then play/download each chapter of the Bible to get the opus16 audio files in a folder, which I could then copy back to my computer… But it would be nice to have an easier way.

@jbarndt Is there a mechanism yet for downloading the opus16 files, or should I try my suggestion:

Just a bit of an update… I was able to identify the FCBH Fileset IDs for both the OT (SHUDPIO1DA-opus16) and NT (SHUBSCN1DA-opus16) for my project. SAB wouldn’t accept the OT ID (says it is an invalid format, but it’s not), but there is a workaround by editing the .addDef file directly. (I was using SAB 10.1.1, but I don’t see a fix for that in the 10.2 release notes.)

I used the process described in this other thread to convert our Bible .mp3 files to opus (.webm):

I have now added those .webm files to my SAB audio tab, and have been able to synchronize the audio and the text. I have tested that the audio files can be downloaded from the Internet, or if I provide folders with the audio files I created above, the app is able to find and use them. The .webm files that I created are not identical to the ones downloaded, but they both seem to work OK, and the sizes are almost identical. @ChrisHubbard said he might create a way in SAB to download the FCBH audio files, but I don’t think that has happened yet.