Biblical Timeline

I would like to create a digital Biblical Timeline that is found in the back of the printed Bible. I don’t know how I would create the markup to represent the Timeline. I suppose it doesn’t necessarily have to look the same as the printed version but should convey the same information. Any thoughts on how to include the Biblical Timeline in SAB app? I suppose one solution could be to include images of the Timeline. The Bible has 6 pages of timeline. I have included one page for example.

Other ideas: A simple linear list of paragraphs with points, dates and details would work. OR a tabular, in the form of a table. So need to think what would work best for a phone. Then it wraps dynamically depending on the zoom level the user prefers.
● 624 BC —text text text
● 599 BC —text text text
● 212 BC —text text text
● 003 AD —text text text
● 033 AD —text text text
● 079 AD —text text text

Has anyone attempted this before or have comments, suggestions?

Update: I did find a XXC book which is the SFM markup created by typesetter. I was able to massage the file to get it to work with SAB. Only small issue is the timeline is 7 columns wide so much too wide for a phone screen. If you turn the phone to landscape the issue goes away. In vertical screen, you only see first 4 columns or so. Thinking of putting a note at top of Timeline to rotate phone to landscape mode for better viewing.

If using an image then text readability will be the biggest issue.

You can use USFM table markup and \tr and \tc1 \tc2 etc. But you are trying that.

You could do it in HTML or HTML and SVG. USFM does not support SVG directly.

I used SVG inside of HTML that was an epub. The text scales to fill the screen in portrait and landscape. The text is bigger in landscape but still readable in portrait. Not sure with 7 columns.

1 Like

Hi Ian
I talked with a native speaker and shown him the app with both options: timeline as table and timeline as images. The speaker said to keep both as options for the Biblical Timeline. Therefore the timeline will have 2 chapters: c 1 will be the table format with note to turn device to landscape mode; c 2 will be timeline as six individuals images. The user can tap the image and enlarge for better viewing. This option gives the user two methods to view the timeline. I personally think the image option is the best but either way, the user will have two options.