Bridge passages

SAB is not including bridge passages with \iex USFM. Also how can I ensure these passages are italicised in the app?

@Alex SAB should be recognising \iex paragraphs as bridging text between passages of Scripture text. The default style is set to italics. I have just tried it out with the most recent version of SAB and it looks to be working.

If it is not working for you, please can you send a sample to the Support team and we will investigate.

Thanks, Richard, I’ll do that. I’ll send a usx file that includes \iex paragraphs that are not appearing in the app though they show up beautifully in the SAB viewer.

I have discovered that the \iex paragraphs appear at the end of the book in the app instead of the correct location. The \iex replaces the correct final chapter.
If the \iex occurs at the beginning of a chapter, it seems to behave OK.

The USX I saw was not valid XML The para immediately before the \iex was not closed.

My usx file is exported from Paratext. So does this mean there’s a problem in Paratext? I don’t see any way to close paragraphs manually.

If it is exported from Paratext then it should be valid. Since it is not valid then I’d report it to Paratext.

Please specify the ways in which the file is “invalid”.

I have found a work around replacing \iex by \lit which we’re not using otherwise and editing the style. However, since the files work perfectly well with other paragraph styles, it seems there is a problem with SAB’s handling of \iex.

A USX file is an XML file. Each element must be closed. In @Alex case:

<para style="p">
  <para style="iex">Wete ... paipaidi.</para>

In USX schema, a paragraph can never contain another paragraph. So the first <para style="p"> above is not closed, the closing element can’t occur after the start of the next paragraph. The first line should be either: <para style="p"/> or <para style="p"></para> to be valid XML. Both of those two options are invalid USX but valid XML. An empty paragraph should be a b like <para style="b"/>

Wete Iave Mosese ivoneni tomo’otoqa kanasala inakalaqei kaisayanidiavo mesaida sipi, gouti, malasi wete bunetutu mwanewaudi inagabunidi velomu paipaina wete vemataluananidiavo ivoneni kaisayanidiavo paipaidi. looks to me to follow the example from USX
So how should it be closed?

The problem is not the iex paragraph,. It is the one before that.
It should be:

<para style="p"></para>
  <para style="iex">Wete ... paipaidi.</para>

Sometimes an error like the preceding paragraph not being closed can cause issues with what follows. In strict XML processing an error with a missing closing element would result in no output at all.

@mcquayi I’m having the same problem. I don’t really want to change all our \iex markers to \lit unless it’s my only option. So should I contact Paratext?

This is the start of Romans 4 in PT:
\c 4
\b
\iex (The next part, 4:1-12, mainly talks to Jewish people, so we have not translated it yet.)
\s1 Abraham believed God
\p \v 13 Remember that story about Abraham, that old man that lived a long time ago. God promised him that one day the people born into his family would be great people everywhere in the world. And Abraham believed that word that God promised him. Abraham didn’t have the law at that time. He just believed God, and then God said that Abraham was good, and God promised to look after his family.*

@Kathy_Dadd Please can you confirm that you are using the most recent version of Scripture App Builder. I think there was a related problem that we fixed in a previous version.

If you are still seeing the problem in the most recent version, please can you send us a more complete book file and we will see if we can reproduce it. I have tried with the except you posted here but I can’t see the problem. Thanks!

Hi, yes I downloaded the latest SAB version yesterday and rebuilt the app to be sure.

(Is there a way to attach files here? I replied to the email and attached the book file. let me know if it doesn’t work.)

You can:

1. Upload to Google Drive or some file sharing service and share the link via a private message.
  2. You can create a support ticket at Submit a ticket : SIL App Builders which allows for file uploads.

Thanks,
Chris

Thanks, I don’t mind if everyone can see it. Here it is:

@richard using Kathy’s SFM the \iex appears in the HTML export in the relevant chapter but in the app all the \iex are bunched in chapter 16 and the text of chapter 16 is absent.

For now use the Changes to change \iex to \lit (assuming you don’t use it elsewhere) and adjust the styling.

I’m sorry that Kathy has this problem but just a bit relieved to know that I’m not the only one! I reported this issue in May.

Thank you, @Kathy_Dadd, for the file. That was really helpful in identifying the problem. It is now fixed ready for the next version of SAB.

Sorry @Alex for the delay in fixing this.