Custom Book Group Names

The book group names “OT” & “NT” are translatable in the Interface Translation, but the team would like the group names to be in the local language regardless of the interface language. I was able to change group from “OT” to the local translation “पुरानो कबुल”, but in the Book menu it shows up as: “Book_Group_पुरानो कबुल”, not what I was hoping for.

Is there a better way to do this?

What do you have in the Interface tool, the Translations tab? For example, I have an app where I want the book group name in English when the UI is English, but in the local language for any other UI language (e.g. French). So I have:

When the interface is French, the group names that appear are just what is in the right-hand cells there.

What you have showing up looks more like the “Phrase Id” than one of the translations. Maybe if you have an empty cell for a translation, it will just put in the Phrase Id? Maybe you can show us a screen shot of your configuration, like my screen shot above?

1 Like

Hi there,
Just resurrecting this question. I’m trying to add a custom book group name. “Aides Bibliques.” It’s easy to do at the book collection level–I just typed in the group name and now I can assign it to any book. However, when doing this, the group name dialog box says “You can define the way this group name appears in the app. Go to the Translated Strings page and modify the translations for Book_Group_Aides_Bibliques”
First of all, it was hard to find where the “Translated Strings” page is. I think it’s under the Interface menu, but in looking through the strings, there is no Book_Group_Aides_Bibliques, even though Book_Group_OT and Book_Group_NT are there. If I build the app, the custom group name appears as Book_Group_Aides_Bibliques – not what I wanted, but similar to the experience of MikeB above. I searched the appDef, SAB program folder and everywhere I can think of and there’s no reference to the Group Name that I can find. Any ideas? Thanks!

@Andrew_Shafe Use something like AB as the book group name and then you can localize that in Appearance > Interface > Translations. There will be an entry at the end named Book_Group_AB.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. But I’m puzzled. When I use AB, I can immediately find Book_Group_AB in the translations area, but when I use Aides Bibliques, nothing appears there (no Book_Group_Aides_Bibliques) and yet in the app drop-down book menu it has Book_Group_Aides_Bibliques as the group name, just like MikeB experienced. Is it the space in the name that messes things up?

I suspect that the intention for the book name is supposed to be a symbol (and the space breaks it). So the default ones are NT, OT, DC for New Testament, Old Testament, and Deuterocanonical.

It seems like “Aides Bibliques” is the localized name and should go in one of the Translations.

Chris