Export problem in HT

Hello!

I’m trying to export our Mark recording as a “folder of MP3’s” with timing files included. Everything goes well for the first 6 chapters, then in chapter 7 there is an error:

Error: C:\Program Files (x86)\HearThis\shntool.exe join -d “C:\Users\Casey Ellis\AppData\Local\Temp” -F “C:\Users\Casey Ellis\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp5F2D.tmp” -O always -r none failed.
In the context of
StandardError: shntool [join]: warning: none of the builtin format modules handle input file: [C:\ProgramData\SIL\HearThis\MMGStori\Mark\7\51.wav]
shntool [join]: error: could not open file: [C:\ProgramData\SIL\HearThis\MMGStori\Mark\7\51.wav]

When I go into the data folder and try to open the .wav file in Audacity, it says it may be “invalid or corrupted”. When I open HT I can play that block just fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

If you could please send me that file via e-mail (tom_bogle@sil.org), I can have a look. If it’s not too much trouble, your best bet might be to delete it and re-record. Is there anything unusual about it that you can tell (e.g., really big, recorded with different hardware, etc.)? Is the OS able to give you information about it, such as number of channels, frequency, duration?

You might be able to fix it using the steps here: https://windowsreport.com/fix-corrupt-wav-file/

Thanks for the reply. I can’t seem to send it over because gmail is telling me it can’t attach it because it is “0 bytes”. I tried the steps you included to possibly fix it but they didn’t work. It’s not a huge deal, my speaker only lives a few hours away but it seems a shame to make the trip for one sentence! It’s strange that it plays fine in HT but is apparently corrupt as it can’t be opened or recognized by any program.
Casey

In the HearThis UI, the blocks are numbered starting at 1, but block 1 corresponds to file 0.WAV. So if 51.WAV is the corrupt one, make sure that block 52 actually plays back correctly in HearThis. My guess is that if the OS thinks it’s a 0-byte file, it really is corrupt and will not play back correctly.
If it does play back correctly, you could try making another local copy of it on your computer (paste it into My Documents or whatever). If that works and results in a file that is > 0 bytes, then try listening to the copy with Audacity or VLC (a guy I talked to in IMS says VLC seems to have more robust codecs). If it plays back, then you could try replacing the original one with the copy.
It’s a long shot, but it sounds like it might be worth it if it could possibly save you a trip.

Yes, you were right. I checked block 52 and it wouldn’t play. VLC won’t open it so looks like I need to re-recorded. Thanks for your quick responses though. I appreciate the help!
Casey