Firebase in iOS - upload error "Missing Purpose String in Info.plist"

I successfully added Firebase to an iOS app in December, with SAB 8.3. It works! Now I’m updating the app and App Store Connect gives me an error:

ITMS-90683: Missing Purpose String in Info.plist - Your app’s code references one or more APIs that access sensitive user data. The app’s Info.plist file should contain a NSPhotoLibraryUsageDescription key with a user-facing purpose string explaining clearly and completely why your app needs the data. Starting Spring 2019, all apps submitted to the App Store that access user data are required to include a purpose string. If you’re using external libraries or SDKs, they may reference APIs that require a purpose string. While your app might not use these APIs, a purpose string is still required. You can contact the developer of the library or SDK and request they release a version of their code that doesn’t contain the APIs. Learn more (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/core_app/protecting_the_user_s_privacy).

I’m using SAB 8.4 now, everything else is the same in my Firebase configuration. Could you look at this problem, please?

It isn’t related to Firebase. We added the Verse on Image feature and only add the NSPhotoLibraryUsageDescription keys if the feature is enabled. However, the code that uses the APIs that access the library are still in the App.

Would it be OK to turn on this feature? I have it on my list to try to remove the library that is using the Photo Library APIs if the feature is turned off.

I see, thanks for the explanation, @ChrisHubbard. Well, in my particular app I can’t turn it on. We have a lot of markup links in the text and these verses look like this in the image editor:

Not sure if this needs to be fixed… in this app we prefer not to use the editor anyway. But it might be relevant for others. I’ll build the app with SAB 8.3.1 in the meantime.

(The chapter/verse reference 3:31.31 is not a bug, it’s because of the particular structure of this Sign Language app)

OK. It will be the next thing I work on.

@Friedo,

I have a fix for the issue with publishing to Apple App Store. David is working on fixing some of the other bugs that you have reported. We can get an update to you soon.

As for the Markdown in the text, does this happen with the Android Verse on Image implementation?

Great, thanks.
About the markdown, I just tested it on Android and yes, it happens too.