Footnote Symbol

In Features --> Links [tab], under “Footnotes”, there is an option to select the “Footnote Caller” as a “Custom Symbol”, along with a box to write in the footnote symbol.

I would like to use Arabic Footnote Marker (U+0602) followed by a number that counts up with each footnote. Can I do this?

If you type in what you want:

f1 f2 f3 f4 f5 … f50
withe a space between them, it should work.
I tried \u0602 but it just came out as that string. So you need to put in the character you need.

Sorry to say that this did not work. When I tried putting them in, separated by spaces, it simply put the whole string, spaces included, into each footnote. Is there something else to try?

Has anyone now been able to add a series of custom symbols for footnote markers in the app? We work in a non-Roman script, and would like to use the numerals from this script. But it seems that the “Custom” field only accepts a single marker which will be used each time, such as * (asterisk). True, as a pop-up there is less need for a series of ascending numerals, but the team still would prefer that it be the same as in Paratext. (However, with the app, we noticed that when using the default “a, b, c”, each chapter starts over at “a”. Is there a way in SAB to change this?)

Did this ever get answered? I came searching for the exact same thing but don’t see any way of accomplishing it.

On a slightly different topic, I’m confused by the footnote caller choices inside SAB of “Default” and “a,b,c,d…”. If I choose “Default”, it actually uses “a,b,c,d…” Why is there a choice if there’s no effect?

Sorry for the slow response.

I see I misled ChristopherF way back. I have written this up as an enhancement issue. Requesting that a caller list can be supplied not just a single option.

If you are desperate for an alternate fix, I can write an XSLT that would transform your USX export from Paratext so the + caller is replaced by a character from your list. Using the list in sequence.

Thank you for the offer.

I can make the changes myself, but your answer indirectly gave me the information I needed.

1. Footnote markers can be changed by the editing the source from \f + to \f ؂1. If you want each footnote to have a different number, you’ll need to edit the source in each location (@mcquayi would have used XSLT on USX; I’ll use Python on SFM).

This realization also helped me answer my second question to myself.

1. In SAB, the “Default” footnote option actual means “use the footnote markers encoded in the source” and use “a,b,c,d…” means “override the source to use latin letters”. If your source uses the + sign, these two options result in the same behavior.
1 Like