Getting new app from Draft to Production in Google Play Developer Console

Hi there,

I am uploading a brand new app to Google Play, via Scriptoria. In Scriptoria, I can see in my app details that the State is Startup Workflow Completed (as of last night). I have nothing in “My tasks.”

In the Google Play Developer Console, the app status is “Draft.” In that app’s dashboard, I scrolled to the section called “Release your app”. It says “Complete the Initial setup tasks first” and “1 of 4 complete.” Below that:

SET UP YOUR CLOSED TEST TRACK
----Select countries and regions
----Select testers
CREATE AND ROLL OUT A RELEASE
----Create a new release
----Review and roll out the release

None of the four items are clickable, but the last one has a mouseover that says, “You need to create a new release before you can roll it out.”

When I click on “Releases overview” on the left menu, it says:
Production: Inactive
Open testing: Inactive
Closed testing: Inactive
Internal testing: Inactive

Latest releases: No results

In the Countries/regions section, for each country or region it shows two tracks- production, closed testing. When I expand a country, it says “Production, Alpha.” All 173 are selected.

What do I do now? How do I get my app to Production?

Thanks for your help.

(Side note: Here is a handy reference that defines all of the App statuses:
https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/9859751?hl=en#zippy=%2Capp-status

The steps to complete are in the Workflow. The Make It Live step had a long list of tasks that you needed to complete. Did you do those? Here is a screen shot:

Thanks so much! With this printscreen, I was able to get my app to App Status: Production" and “Update status: In review.”

I looked all over in Scriptoria and could not find the instructions listed above. How is this list supposed to be found?

Once again, thanks so much!

P.S. In the App Content section, Google now also asks if the app is a news app.

Also, just for documentation purposes, I at one point was told I had to complete my store listing for my app before publishing. At first, I thought that it was wanting me to upload print screens for tablets. But in fact, I had to remove English from the list of languages, since I am not planning on publishing app information in English on Google Play at this time.

This list of of instructions are part of the Make It Live step of the workflow. See the workflows on the About Scriptoria page. You are using the Android App to Google Play (Low Admin) workflow. This is part of the initial workflow. It is not needed on rebuild.

For SAB, the listing language defaults to English. You don’t have to use it. You can remove it and use one of the other listing languages. You have to have at least 1.

Thanks so much Chris!

I have tried exploring the links you gave on both my phone and laptop, and I have tried reloading them with Shift+F5, but I can’t find the Instructions from your printscreen anywhere. Maybe something isn’t updating right? The workflows I can find are simply one-page PDFs with flowchart diagrams.

Thanks also for the tip about listing languages.

The SAB says in the Publishing tab, “Build an Android App Bundle (aab) for the app”. This is now required by Google in order to put an app into Google Play; I cannot upload the apk file on their site, only an aab file. But how do I build an aab file?
Trying to upload my first app.

And, how do I get a privacy policy URL? Just use the generic Wycliffe Privacy Policy? But that only applies to their website.

@Erin,

Are you using Scriptoria or publishing to Google Play on your own?

You can build an AAB by selecting “Build Android App Bundle” from the Build menu.

You can look at the Wycliffe Privacy Policy as an example. Your privacy policy will depend on what information you collect in the app (whether you use Analytics).

Chris

Thanks Chris. I did find the AAB selection finally, and see that the publishing documentation has been updated since I downloaded it, so that some of my q’s have been answered there. “Using the Wycliffe Policy as an example”… Well, I’m not sure what that means. I could write it all out with a few changes but I don’t understand what’s involved, and don’t have a website of my own to post - they want a URL. Not using analytics. Should I?

Trying to do it on my own.
Erin

Do you have advice on where I can access the icon from SAB to upload to the Play Store?
Erin

I thought that the privacy policy was optional, but it is a good idea to have it. There is probably a free site where you could host your privacy policy document. You could ask on the Scripture App Builder - SIL Scripture Software Community forum.

What I mean by “using it as an example” is to looking at the wording and make one that suites your needs. You can also do an internet search for “google play privacy policy” and find some resources to help.

As for you app icon, you can use the one from project data (PROJECTNAME_data/images/drawable-web/ic_launcher.png). It is 512x512.

Chris

Thank you, very helpful.
Erin

You could place your privacy policy in a Google Doc and set the sharing settings to “Anyone can view.” And use the page’s URL. It’s not 100% professional, but it’s free and gets the job done. You could also set up a free website at a place like myawesomeapp.wordpress.com and put it there (although that will have ads).

If it’s within your budget, typical basic web hosting costs about $100 a year, or maybe even less. I think it’s a good investment. You can put any information you want up about your app and anything else you want, ad-free. It gives you product a level is professionalism and seriousness.

Those are a few options. I hope that helps!

Google Doc’s a good idea. Do you think it’s allowable to just put the URL for Wycliffe’s Scripture App Privacy Policy?

You can not put the URL for the Wycliffe’s Scripture App Privacy Policy. I believe they will reject that since it is for another organization.

Actually I have not had a rejection in Google Play Store when I put a URL that does not come from the organization’s domain. However, the issue is the technical legality of stating that the app conforms to the privacy policy of another organization. That seems weird at best. Of course if you are placing the app in the Wycliffe’s Google Play Store then it is appropriate, and the correct procedure.
www.wycliffe.org/scripture-app-privacy

1 Like