Glossary sectioning via verse numbers and \vp

Paratext send/receive likes to use verse numbers to help solve conflicts, and the documents warn that 2 people editing the glossary is therefore dangerous. I presume that this is not explicitly turned off for the glossary but just normally there are no verse numbers there. I’d like to suggest this approach to that problem:

Step 1: Split the glossary at initial-letter-boundaries, using verse-numbers (which provide a navigation method for paratext).
Step 2: Use \vp to replace the number with the appropriate initial letters

E.g:

\zglo-s\*
\pc
\v 1 \vp A\vp*
\p 
\k o Anas\k* O sastro le Kajafasqo, kaj sasas o maj baro raśaj le evreenqo anglal kadava.
\pc 
\v 2 \vp B\vp*

For formatting, enclose the whole glossary in a ranged milestone (I’ve chosen \zglo-s....\zglo-e), and then this could be your custom.sty file:

\Marker zglo-s
\Endmarker zglo-e
\Name Glossary section
\Description So special formatting can be applied within glossary
\StyleType Milestone

\Marker v+zglo-s
\Superscript -
\Bold

(The last part of the file above makes ‘verse numbers’ within the bounds of the milestone normal sized and bold)

1 Like

Just a heads-up… It seems that while this is acceptable to PT8, in PT9.1 and 9.2 interlinearizing a glossary with verses or chapters fails: you cannot select chapter / verse 2.

Also, when you add a new glossary item via the key-terms menu, the divisions can get messed up.