HearThis 2.2.3 removed because of bug

A potentially serious issue came to my attention regarding version 2.2.3 of HearThis. I decided to remove that verison from the download server until I can fix the problem. If you have already upgraded to version 2.2.3 and your Scripture data does not use any of these markers:
\r, \iot, \io1, \io2, \io3
then this issue does not affect you and you can continue to use HearThis 2.2.3 with no problems whatsoever. Of those markers, only \r is used in Scripture. the others are used only in introductory material, so if you are only using those markers and you are not recording the introductory material, this problem will not affect you either.
If you are using one of those markers and are using HearThis 2.2.3 to record chapters or introductions that do contain one or more of those markers, you will probably notice what appears to be missing or corrupted data. In fact, none of the clip files was altered, but they may no longer correspond to the block of text they are associated with. Until version 2.2.4 is released with a fix to this problem, you have two choices:

• Revert to version 2.2.2. This is probably the safest approach. Note that to do this you will have to manually uninstall HearThis 2.2.3 first (using Add or Remove programs).
  • Continue to use 2.2.3 but carefully avoid recording anything in a chapter or introduction that uses one of those markers, unless you are recording the whole thing.

When 2.2.4 is released, it will include an automated data migration to re-align any clip files affected by the change that wa sintroduced in 2.2.3. However, the data migration will not do anything in any chapters or introductions where you have either recorded or manually skipped any blocks using version 2.2.3. This is because it would be impossible to know what - if anything - needs to be cleaned up. Although I hope this will not end up adversely affecting any of our users, I thought it would be best to try to make everyone aware of this. If version 2.2.4 tells you that the data migration was unable to clean up one or more chapters and you need help to try to resolve problems, please reach out to me using this forum, and I will make it a top priority to help you.

There is a new “test” version to address this problem. As a precaution, I recommend a full backup of of all HearThis data files (typically in c:\ProgramData\SIL\HearThis) before installing this version. I plan to release this very soon, but it would be great if I could get a few people willing to test it on a real project first. Please post here if you install and use this version and indicate whether you have any trouble. If you use the \r (parallel passage) marker or any of the table of content markers in your introductions, please look at a couple chapter/introductions where those are used both before installing the new version and after the new version runs its data migration, and confirm that the data migration fixed the problem. Even if you don’t use any of those markers, it would still be helpful to have you run this test version to make sure nothing unexpected happens. (In this case, the data migration should have no noticeable effect - it will just increment an internal version number.)
Please note that if you do try this version, when the new official 2.2.4 version is released, you will need to manually uninstall the test version before installing the official version.
Thanks for your help!

Version 2.2.4 has been released. This release includes a data migration that will re-align clips with the text for any places where the previous release might have caused them to get out of sync. The migration will be performed automatically when a project is opened and should be allowed to run to completion without interrupting it. For most projects it will be fairly fast and you will not notice it, but for large projects with many affected chapters, there might be a slight delay. As a precaution, if possible, we recommend making a backup of all files in C:\ProgramData\SIL\HearThis\ before starting HearThis as a safeguard against any unlikely problems that might occur during the migration. If your Scripture data does not use \r (Parallel passage reference), or any of the Introductory outline styles, you can disregard this, as the migration will not make any changes to your HearThis data files.

HearThis asked me to contact this forum as it could not bring Luke 2 over into this new version of HearThis.

It said chapter 2 will need to be manually relocated.

Glad it’s just one chapter. (Presumably you did some work recording portions of that chapter - but not the whole thing - using HearThis 2.2.3, before upgrading to 2.2.4 or later. If you do not think this is the case, please let me know.)
Probably the first thing to do is to go to Luke 2 and listen to the clips you have recorded and see which one(s) do not match up to the highlighted text block. If it’s just one or two and it’s easy to re-record them, that’s one simple option. However, if it is a bunch of clips – which is likely – then you’ll most likely want to use the advanced clip-shifting feature.
To access the clip-shifting feature, you need to open the Settings dialog box (using the More menu in the upper right corner). In the Settings dialog box, on the Interface tab, under Advanced there is an option to Enable Shift Clips command.
Once you have enabled this command, do the following:

1. Go to the first place in Luke 2 where the block does not match the clip. If you look further to the right on the navigation bar (which is the thin blue and yellow bar just above the text), you should see one or more places where there is no yellow underline.

2. Right-click the square (blue) box corresponding to that block on the navigation bar (which is the thin blue bar just above the text). On the context menu that pops up, select the Shift Clips command.

3. In the Shift Clips dialog, you will probably want to leave the default option: Shift recorded clips to the following sentence.

4. To confirm that you are going to get the desired result, you can click the little play buttons in the After Shifting column to ensure that they correspond to the Script Text displayed in the same row. (Note: it is currently possible to shift clips only one position at a time, so in the unlikely event that more than one consecutive parallel passage was added, the audio will not line up correctly until you repeat these steps.)

If there are additional parallel passage paragraphs later in the chapter, find the next place where the clips are out of sync with the text and repeat the above steps until all clips align correctly.

(Note that the Shift Clips command only remains available as long as HearThis is running. When you restart it, this feature deactivates. This is a safety measure so that you don’t accidentally leave it activated, because a naïve user can really make a mess of the recordings by using it without understanding it.)

If you are unsure of yourself or would like additional help, please e-mail tom_bogle@sil.org and let me know a good time when we could work through this process together. I apologize for the inconvenience, but I will do everything I can to make sure you get things cleaned up properly.

Thanks Tom, I’ll try this tomorrow.

Please do let me know how it went.

I followed the instructions and it moved the first verse forward to the correct position. The second verse then sounded right, but then the third and fourth verse were repeats of the first two verses, so I erased them. Then I had to go manually in to the recording of verse 3 that was showing in verse 5 and send it back to verse 4, and then send it to verse 3. With that done, I then clicked on verse 4 (empty) and verse 5 (empty). And so I repeated the process above for verse 3 for the next 5 verses but ran out of energy after that. It seems the chapter is shot unless there is someway to tell all the recordings to move back two verses, or one verse twice, rather than vese by verse for 87 recordings.

I was thinking that you would probably only need to move clips forward. To move them backward, you’ll want to click on the last one that needs to be moved and then in select the option Shift recorded clips to the preceding sentence (which you apparently already figured out). Since they can only be shifted by one position, you will have to do this twice to move them into the correct spot, but you won’t have to do it clip by clip for 87 recordings.

Thanks, I tried this and was able to get most of the recordings moved. I lost the final recording of the chapter (may have been lost when I moved the recordings forward at the beginning of the process as well as one verse at the break where there had been two empty slots, around verse 7 I believe. Still, it’s much easier to re-record 2 verses than the whole chapter. Thanks for your help!

The final lost clip is probably still there in the folder (C:\ProgramData\SIL\HearThis*proj*\Luke\2). You could go there and carefully rename it manually.
Anyway, glad you were able to take care of this. Again, sorry about the inconvenience.