Reporting from a real-life experiment: it works.
We are preparing a SAB-app for a portion of the NT. Target audience does not know Scripture, so we have got some 280 glossary entries for this portion. Within that glossary, we have some 45 cross-links, which point to other or main entries in the glossary.
Adding an extra line for a dummy verse and filling out sequential verse-numbers took one regex and some editing in a power-editor, some 10 minutes in total.
Then converting our 45 cross-references took another regex which semi-automatically converted the old print-only references from
⇒ angels to
⇒ [angels](glo..) which took several runs, because some links are in the middle of text and some are multi-word-headwords and some of those had \em … \em* markup.
Then I created a condensed lookup-sheet for chapters and dummy-verses (3 minutes); put that on my second monitor, and went through the glossary and filled out the actual target chapter and verse respectively. The entire process took well under one hour and some of that was figuring out the procedure.
We now have an Android app where users can easily follow the links in the glossary. Joy! So far our glossary-links were confusing to new users, because a non-clickable link inside an app, where there are working links in the main text section, are “unexpected behavior”.
I found some mild “bug” in SAB in this context:
I cannot tell, whether this bug existed before, because, coming from PT8, we had used \x … \x* references, and those had created actual crashes. So during app-development we had learnt, never to click on links in the glossary. Now those have gone and I have converted them to the new Markdown style. And I can report that the links also work from the glossary towards scripture-text. But having solved all that, we have noticed a “new” problem:
Since this is an app for only a portion of the NT, we have some “text only links”, where for example we refer to not-included books in French-style text form: In Francophone context, a reference is printed like
Luc 15.22 so chapter dot verse.
Now SAB is taking such mentions in our text as links too!! There is no markup, no brackets, nothing just
15.22 gets turned into a “local link” and is marked blue and when a user would click on that (out of curiosity) then the pop-up is proposing chapter 15, verse 22 in the glossary [sic], not in Luke.
Update: Just noticed that even other “naked” mentiones like 20-40 or 2000—3000 get turned into local links. In Francophone use,
Luc 12—18 means Luke, chapters 12 to 18 but SAB is turning that into a glossary link to chapter 12, verse 18!
Since many people in the world are francophone, I believe the mention of
Any-book chapter.verse should not unwantedly create an unhelpful local link to
For today I made an “ugly fix” by including zero width spaces into each text-only
chapter.verse for exampel
15ZWSP.ZWSP12 and now such references do not get treated as links any more my SAB and they look just the same to the users.
I do not want to focus on the new mild bug today, I mainly wanted to share our joy and the procedure on how we have created our first-ever cross-links in our glossary. hth and thanks again @mcquayi for the idea