How to handle timing files for verses numbers already split

Hi Jeff,
I had a similar issue with how the highlighting works in the finetuning the timing file (using the HTML) on verses where verse #a is before an s1 title and #b is after the title. In my case it just made it difficult to finetune the timing, but once I exported the app it actually correctly highlighted the 4a, then s1 then 4b - each at the correct time.
I flagged the HTML highlight issue when I suggested some improvements and keyboard shortcuts to the finetune HTML file. I think the latest update SAB 7.2 from early July 2020 has this fixed now.
Side note, in my latest iteration of an app I’m working on the app doesn’t highlight and scroll automatically as the audio plays. But in SAB I’ve got the box checked that says “Highlight the current phrase when playing audio” (under Audio Settings tab). Do you have any ideas about what I might have wrong? An earlier version of the app actually highlighted correctly. I can’t tell yet if this is an issue with SAB 7.2, which I recently installed. @richard have you had any other issues with highlighting in SAB 7.2 ?

I had a similar issue, I had a verse, 1 Sam 4:1, with just a few words in v1 before a heading, then the rest of the verse. When playing it highlighted the verse before and after the heading when playing the first few words, then just the heading while it read that, and then it highlighted nothing while reading out the rest of the verse.
Using suggestions above I edited both the phrases and timings files, adding ‘a’ to the first section, and of course changing ‘a’ to ‘b’ and ‘b’ to ‘c’. This has fixed the problem. I don’t know how many other verses are split by a heading though…

Before:
1|itr peyamy samwئێl be hemww israil geyʂt.
s1|felestyyeکan snدwqy χwدa دeben
1a|israilyʂ bo berengarbwwnewey felestyyeکan bo ʂer چwwne دerewe w lelay berدy yarmety ئorدwgayan دamezranد،
1b|felestyyeکanyʂ lelay ئefێq.
2a|ind̠ʒa felestyyeکan bereyan best bo berengarbwwnewey israil w ʂer heʟ̥gyrsa،

6.54 10.66 1
10.66 14.66 s1
14.66 24.6 1a
24.6 26.62 1b
26.62 32.38 2a

After:
1a|itr peyamy samwئێl be hemww israil geyʂt.
s1|felestyyeکan snدwqy χwدa دeben
1b|israilyʂ bo berengarbwwnewey felestyyeکan bo ʂer چwwne دerewe w lelay berدy yarmety ئorدwgayan دamezranد،
1c|felestyyeکanyʂ lelay ئefێq.
2a|ind̠ʒa felestyyeکan bereyan best bo berengarbwwnewey israil w ʂer heʟ̥gyrsa،

6.54 10.66 1a
10.66 14.66 s1
14.66 24.6 1b
24.6 26.62 1c
26.62 32.38 2a

I have encountered an even stranger hiccup in the timing files.
2 Kings 24:20
The part of the verse after heading should be ‘20c’ but is just ‘20’:

218.62 223.18 20a
223.18 227.02 20b
227.02 229.64 s3
229.64 236.28 20

When playing, it does 20a, 20b, and s3 as it should but for 20c the highlight jumps back to 20a. I have fixed this by going into the txt files again and adding the ‘c’.
Should this be noted as a bug?

@jeff_heath when you are suggesting to edit the phrases file, are you referring to the *aeneas.txt files that are located in \App Builder\Scripture Apps\Phrases\com.appname folder?

@richard if this is a common need it might be nice if users could easily edit these *aeneas.txt phrases files directly in SAB. For example under Books, Source it’s easy to view (but not edit) the text as in Paratext, but I’m also finding that some adjustments have to be made for the timing files to work correctly any time a section header splits a verse.

Here is my example today from a section header that falls mid verse in Genesis 26:14:

\v 14 Ɩwɛná fééni, namɩ́nɩ, na náánɩ ɖabata. Bɩka ɩwɛná yomáa ɖabata.
\s1 Ɩsaáka weeɖi keɖiyá ɩ́na wúro Abɩmelɛ́ɛkɩ
\p Ńna gɛ Filisitíi ńba waalɩzɩ́ ɩzɩ́rɛ batɩ́nɩ ɩrɔ.
\v 15 Ɩjaa Ibrahím...

Then in the *aeneas.txt phrase file that becomes:

14a|Ɩwená fééni,
14b|namíni,
14c|na nááni ɖabata.
14d|Bika iwená yomáa ɖabata.
s2|Ɩsaáka weeɖi keɖiyá ína wúro Abimeléeki
14|Ńna ge Filisitíi ńba waalizí izíre batíni iro.
15a|Ɩjaa Ibrahím... 

And when using the fine tune timings, in the HTML file it looks like this:

So you can see that after the section header it lumps the whole verse 14, in the HTML file, probably because the *aeneas.txt file didn’t have the letter 14e to mark the last phrase as separate after the \s1 section header.

As described earlier in this thread, the solution is to edit the *aeneas.txt file, adding the letter e in this line:
14e|Ńna ge Filisitíi ńba waalizí izíre batíni iro.
The other alternative, is to tell the team doing the fine tuning to simply ignore the repeated parts of the verse, and focus only on the last phrase. But obviously this is not as easy when there may be several separate phrases in the part of the verse that fall after the section header that splits the verse.

@jeff_heath when you suggest to edit directly in the Paratext SFM file (so that users don’t have to redo the *aeneas.txt files for each new edition of the app) how would you recommend the change should be entered in the SFM file?
Your example above seems to place letters directly in the SFM, in parts a and b in verse 6:

\v 6a Wo Isa yi nuukiso eedí kono kane an ki ziipe addaŋ a yode ye.
\s Agisa ki sanalliyagi kane koomat makumu sire
\r (Matiye 9.35; 10.1,5-14; Lik 9.1-6)
\p
\v 6b Saŋ maŋ Isa yʼan izire pay illiyagi ɗoŋ i-ɗuule Nazaret geŋ me.

But will that effect the verse numbers in any printed editions?

My other question is what you said above about needing to uninstall and reinstall the latest version of SAB to make . I simply downloaded the latest (version 8.6.5 currently) and ran the file to update SAB. But I think I hear you saying that for some updates it’s best to uninstall the old SAB then reinstall the new SAB. I hope this procedure would keep my project files and all the links to the various SFM, MP3 and all the other files - is that the case?
It would be nice if there was a more simple update option within SAB, for example if under Help, About, there could be a check for updates option that would more efficiently update SAB, without having to uninstall to reinstall. Above you mentioned using the automatic install and run app from SAB but I don’t see that on the SAB menus.

I went back and looked at the final version of that project, and it looks like the SFM file was NOT modified; it still uses the standard SFM file in the Paratext project folder. It was only the timings file that had to be modified. So after the Aeneas sync, I believe I changed the verse markers to 6a and 6b (before and after the section heading, respectively). (Note that I think I had to add the “a” and “b” in the Phrases file and also in the Timings file.)

But IF I found that I needed to change the SFM file, I would make a local copy of it, and make the modifications there, rather than mess around with SFM text in Paratext (which would affect all other Scripture products…). I assume at some point in time this error will get fixed as well, in which case we won’t need to do these gymnastics…

If for some reason you might need to uninstall and reinstall SAB, all of your data should be there. If for some reason a project is not in the project list, you should be able to open it from your Documents\App Builder folder.

Thanks Jeff, I was wondering why the HTML for fine tuning the timings was still not displaying correctly after making corrections to the phrases file. Since I wasn’t running aeneas again, I just needed to edit the timings file too, here is after editing:

Start Finish Phrase
192.4 196.54 14d
196.54 202.94 s2
202.94 207.01 14e
207.01 213.24 15a

In this case (example from Gen 26:14), the phrase after s2 simply had the line listed as “14” but when I changed that to 14e then I had hoped it would produce correctly to fine tune the timings. However, this is what I got in the HTML:

So I’m not sure why the phrase for 14e showed up as blank, in the phrase file verse 14e is listed like this:

14c|na nááni ɖabata.
15a|Ɩjaa Ibrahím…

Ok, I won’t try again until I’ve attempted what you recommended in the first place, to completely uninstall then reinstall SAB. I had already yesterday just installed the newest version of SAB, but hopefully this will make everything work again.

I’ve now uninstalled and reinstalled SAB 8.6.5 and still got the same problem. Yes, all my projects opened up just like I had them before, presumably because it looked for my projects under Documents\App Builder\Scripture Apps.

My verse 14e is still showing up as blank in the HTML for Fine Tune Timings.
The *timing.txt contains 14e:

192.4 196.54 14d
196.54 202.94 s2
202.94 207.01 14e

and the *aeneas.txt phrase file also designates 14e as follows:

So that doesn’t explain why the HTML file lists the verse 14e as blank.
Isn’t the HTML file created with input form the phrase file, in conjunction with the timing file, and then also played with the MP3 or audio file?

The blank HTML in Fine Tune Timings isn’t the important thing. The important thing is what you get in the app when you build it. When you build it, does it select the proper portions of the verse at the right times while the audio is playing? If so, then you are good to go! You can post a bug report about the blank text in Fine Tune Timings, if you like, but if it’s producing the desired result, that’s what’s most important.

1 Like

Hi Jeff, I haven’t built the app yet since I’m wanting to get all of Genesis and the NT together in one app. But I’ve found the Viewer option helpful, under Books\Main Collection\Book Name. When I click on the Viewer tab then I see a window where I can click on a specific verse, and the synchronized highlighting and audio plays to display what it should look like in the app:

So yes, the highlighting did work correctly for all the parts of verse 14, both before the section header, on the section header and the last phrase part after the header as well. Thanks!
When we’re still looking at thousands more apps to make in other languages, my comments are just to improve the working experience for those who come after us.

I encountered a similar problem the other day. It is not related to headings but I think I’ll still mention it here rather than starting a new thread.
The highlighting fails to move on to the last part of a verse but instead stays on an end quote and an asterisk. The end quote is a decorative bracket used for OT quotations in the NT, asterisk is for a footnote. You can see the three lines in the screenshot, it highlights16a and 16b as it should but the highlights stays where you see it while the audio plays 16c.

I suspect it is the footnote causing the problem and not the bracket.
The timing file appears as one would expect:
|179.24|182.54|16a|
|182.54|184.3|16b|
|184.3|188.92|16c|
The phrases file does also:
16a|[ka biri iezdani zani،
16b|ka fari dekat؟]
16c|belam ame biri mesiحman heie.
What might be the problem, and the solution for that matter?
I noticed this while doing a screen recording to share as a video, for the purposes of that video, one labourious solution would be to make a copy of the .sfm file, remove the footnote and try again but of course we want the footnote in the app.

I’m just thinking out loud as there are probably others that can better reply to your concerns. Does the SFM file have a \p marker before 16c starts? Above in the thread (#6) @jeff_heath seamed to indicate that you might be able to resolve this by manually adding in the 16a, 16b, 16c in your SFM and the paragraph marker might be required:

Thanks for the suggestion Andy, I only have the usx files. It look like this:

I’d rather not mess with the source files as we would have to do that every time the text is updated.
I found the text in an English sfm file I have which is divided the same way and has the same footnote:
\q1 “Who has known the mind of the Lord
\q2 so as to instruct him?”\f + \fr 2:16 \ft \xt Isaiah 40:13\f*
\m But we have the mind of Christ.
*edit: I realise now your suggestion is to change in Paratext, not change the sfm in Notepad. I am not on the translation team and don’t have Paratext, but I can suggest it to the translators.

I just looked at one of my phrase files, and footnote callers are normally ignored for the phrase files. But maybe the are not being correctly interpreted for the highlighting. It could be that it’s confused by the RTL use of ] for opening the OT quote and the [ for closing the OT quote. But does the opening bracket correctly highlight with 16a, or is the bracket not included in the highlighting?

It wouldn’t be the first time being RTL has complicated things :tired_face: but it does include the bracket correctly at the start:

I found another example of it not working and there is a pattern. If you have punctuation, bracket, asterisk it treats the bracket and asterisk as a phrase:

If it is at the end of a verse, which it normally is, it does not cause a problem:

But if it has bracket, asterisk, punctuation it works correctly, even when mid-verse:

But this is a question about the quotation, there is no question mark in the quotation, like this:
5 For to which of the angels did God ever say,
“You are my Son;
today I have become your Father”[a]?
Or again,
“I will be his Father,
and he will be my Son”[b]?

Do you think I should ask the translators to add a,b,c labels into Paratext?

Ian @mcquayi and @richard, has Craig supplied enough information here to submit a bug report? Let us know if this needs to be posted elsewhere to get these bugs fixed for all our RTL projects.

I have submitted a bug report for the verses split by a section header.

If it is a different topic. Here is a template to fill in.

*Source*: 
*Cause*: 
*Issue*: 
*Expected*: 
*Workaround*: 
*Note*: 
*Affects version*: 
*Priority*: low medium high

1 Like

I think @CraigN is the one who can fill in the template, assuming this is a different kind of bug that needs to be reported.

What @CraigN reported is indeed a different error, which I have developed more fully here:

I have also posted a bug report for the developers.