Hyphenation not working

I have long words that are showing error bars in columns and when I edit the “hyphenatedwords.txt” doc and hit the button “create hyphenation list” button and put a check in the box to “hyphenate” it does nothing. I read the instructions for editing the “hyphenatedwords.txt” file (found instructions in the “Publishing Assistant” docs) and have tried multiple things and nothing seems to change the output.

I am trying to get hyphenation going now in April of 2023, but seem to still be experiencing this. Is hyphenation supposed to work with me just doing something wrong, or is this feature not functional at this time?

It depends very much on what other settings you have. E.g. inter-letter stretch and words with ‘missing letters’ are incompatible with matching-based hyphenation. There’s also an issue with there being a limit to the number of words that TeX can hyphenate based on exact matches (which is the method TeX uses from a wordlist file). I think that syllable-matching hyphenation works differently.

Is the issue that hyphenation is not happening at all, or is it in some places, but not in other places where you’d expect it to?
A ‘minimum broken example’ as an archive would probably help us work out what the exact problem is. Whether it’s easily fixed is a different issue…