Installing JDK 11 and Android SDK on Mac (v10.0)

SAB v10.0 was released yesterday. It requires JDK 11 and Android 12 SDK.

There are wizards to assist with installing these. I never had a problem using these wizards to download from the Mac app during development, but today … now it gives the error “Received fatal alert: handshake_failure” when attempting to download. I am looking into it. In the mean time, you can work around this by:

JDK 11

1. Download JDK 11 .dmg from Azul Zulu Download page
  2. Open DMG and install to default location
  3. In SAB, open Preferences (command-comma), in Code Libraries tab, Browse to: /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/zulu-11.jdk/Contents/Home

Android SDK

1. Go to Android SDK Command line tools download page and download zip file for Mac.
  2. Create a directory (like AndroidSDK in your home folder) and unzip the zip to there (will extract cmdline-tools folder).
  3. In a terminal window, cd to the AndroidSDK folder
  4. run this command in the terminal window
cmdline-tools/bin/sdkmanager "platforms;android-31" "build-tools;32.0.0" "platform-tools" --verbose --sdk_root=$HOME/AndroidSDK
  1. In SAB, open preferences, go to Android SDK tab, browse to the new folder.

This workaround worked as expected for us, thank you.

There is a bug in the Java 11 Runtime that is included in the Mac App (which doesn’t show up in the Windows app). I can work around it by adding a command-line argument to force TLSv1.2 negotiation. I am rebuilding the Mac Apps and SAB 10.0 for Mac has already completed.