Interface Strings Not Clear

Hi, I’d like some clarification on the following two strings recently added to the interface. We can’t translate them until we understand what they actually mean and in what context they appear.

1) Please allow this app to send notifications
This feels a bit unusual. The app is politely asking you to do something? Should it not simply be the statement: “Allow this app to send notifications”, since I assume this is a setting you tap on to agree with the statement? Or perhaps even “Allow Notifications”??? And the phrase “send notifications” is ambiguous. Does it mean you send them to another person or entity, or does it mean the app sends/gives you a notification? In places where people are concerned about security, a wording like “send notifications” can be alarming. Is the app reporting on my activity? may be a concern. Is it about giving the app permission to give/show me a notification or is it about me giving the app the right to send notifications to someone else? To whom???

2) You can get a verse of the day and daily reminders
This string is also a little strange for me. It sounds like it is simply informing me about something, but shouldn’t it be giving me a choice to turn on a setting? Something like “Show verse of the day and daily reminders” makes more sense. I tap on it if that is what I want it to do for me.

Thanks for your help with these strings.

Hello,

These strings are used in the iOS app. In iOS, before requesting for notifications to be enabled, it is required by Apple Human Interface Guidelines to give context for the request. So the “Please allow this app to send notifications” and “You can get a verse of the day and daily reminders” is displayed so that the user knows why the prompt to enable notifications will be displaying.

Thanks,
Chris

OK, thanks. But to translate “send notifications” we need to know to whom? I assume it means “to me”???
Can you post a screen shot of when this comes up?

@david_moore1, can you provide some screen shots?

This warning appears the first time the app needs to ask the user to allow notifications.

After pressing OK, the following iOS system screen appears. The text here and the buttons are controlled by the system.

If the user chooses not to allow notifications but then later turns on one of the features that requires notifications (Verse of the Day or Daily Reminders), he gets a similar screen, although not identical because iOS will not display that system screen a second time so we have to do things a little differently:

If they press cancel here, the warning disappears and notifications are still disabled even though the features that rely on them are turned on. If they press ok, it takes them to the appropriate screen in iOS system settings to turn on notifications

If you enter settings and one of the two features requiring notifications is already on but notifications have been rejected by the user, the same message appears as a warning at the top of the notifications settings section. Pressing on the message takes you to the same system settings screen for the app as above:

Thanks, David. Now it is more clear. I recommend you change the SAB string to be consistent with the wording in the iOS system screen you show above. SAB string should read: “Please allow this app to send you notifications.”