Keyboards not working (SAB 5.4)

So, I added a couple of KMP keyboards into an app. They are Cameroon language keyboards - one in qwerty format (English) and the other in azerty format (French). After building the app, it crashed on startup (every time). I removed one of the added keyboards and built the app. Now the app starts up fine, but the added keyboard doesn’t display when I type in search words. And if I go out of the app and click on the app icon to return to the idling app, the app immediately crashes. I have the same results on both Android 6.0 and 5.1 phones.

I’ve now tried adding keyboards to a couple of different SAB projects and I get the same results.

I have also tried an Amharic KMP keyboard, just to see if perhaps there was a problem with the Cameroon KMP files. The Amharic one reacts the same.

Here is a screenshot showing the default parameters for a keyboard I have added in (I don’t know if this is of any help in troubleshooting the issue):

Honestly, I’m not sure if it is a bug, or if I’m somehow missing a step in adding keyboards properly into an app. There doesn’t seem to be any documentation on this yet in the ‘Building Apps’ PDF. I know that the KMP keyboard import is a very new feature.

By the way, thank you for adding this feature in! It’s going to be great to get these keyboards into my apps.

Yes this is a bug. One keyboard is okay but two or more cause the app to crash.

Thanks @mcquayi. When you test it are you able to make any KMP keyboard to work at all? With only one KMP keyboard in a project, it doesn’t work at all for me - only the Android OS default keyboard appears.

I’m still wondering if anyone has ever been able to use SAB on a mac to successfully build a KMP keyboard into an app? It has never worked for me. Over the years I’ve tried various KMP keyboard files and tested the builds on various phones… nothing. Tried again today on SAB 10.1.1 with the same results.

I couldn’t get adding a keyboard to work either (SAB v10.4). Nothing shows up when I type in the App the search windows except the default Android keyboards.

Then I found this post:

In-app Keyman keyboards (for beta testing)

• You can now integrate Keyman keyboards within your app for use on the Search screen.
  • Add one or more keyboards in the builder at Fonts > Keyboards. You will need the compiled keyboard JavaScript file from Keyman Developer.
  • Select a keyboard to use on the book collection > Styles tab.
  • Current limitations: choosing a mix of Keyman and system keyboards will not work well. Add Note screen keyboard not supported yet.

** Selecting the Keyboard under Book Collection > Styles enabled it.

Why is this sort of non-intuitive and extremely important information not in the actual SAB manual? (as in the “02-Building-Apps.pdf” file)

1 Like