Linux: Install the Java Development kit (JDK), version 11

I want to update my Android Bible app which I have on Google Play Store. I’ve done this many times but this time it is asking me to download and install the Java Development kit (JDK), version 11. Then it asks where I want to install it. I have to browse and put it somewhere on my home directory. So I create a directory JDK in my home directory. It downloads it and unpacks it. But when I ask it to build Android app it tells me the Java Development kit (JDK), version 11 needs to be installed.

I thought with Wasta Linux it will install all the programs needed when I’m installing Scripture App Builder or when it is doing software updates. What am I doing wrong?

@LBible,

I am sorry about the current experience. I had thought I had tested the upgrade experience on Linux but I missed it. I made OpenJDK 11 an install dependency of SAB 10, but I didn’t have SAB detect the change so it would still be pointing at OpenJDK 8.

In Tools > Settings, you should be able to browse and manually switch the path to the JDK from /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64 to /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64.

Also, the JDK installer on Linux was attempting to download the JDK for Windows! Yikes!

The newer android-sdk-installer will have updated the Android SDK at /opt/android-sdk. [Note: with Wasta, you would have had to include android-sdk-installer as well since Wasta doesn’t install recommended packages like Ubuntu does.]

In SAB 10.1, I have:

• Fix the JDK install to get the Linux version of the JDK
  • Fix auto upgrading from Java 8 to Java 11

Thanks and sorry for the troubles,

Chris Hubbard

Hi Chris
I can see in /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64 so how can I manually switch the path to the new location. I don’t see anywhere in SAB which refers to the old path /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64. I’m using SAB 10.0.1

I found it in Tools/Settings. Sorry I should have looked there as well and after changing it I was able to make an app

Steve

This is a bit off-topic, but when I did a clean install on Windows recently, I initially clicked on the “Install JDK” button on the welcome page of SAB, but it asked me where to install, proposing C:\jdk. That seemed strange to me, so I did the JDK installation the “old” way, downloading the installer and installing and that put the JDK into the Program Files folder, where I was expecting it to be. Should the “Install JDK” button not install JDK in the same place as the usual installer?