Multi-lingual app

Hi dear,

I am creating an app with multiple translation as the same scripture in Urdu, Sindhi, Punjabi, Dhatki, Saraiki and Gujrati translation.
To use these all translations in a single app I am using Glossary form that is not appropriate. I am just using it as there in no other way I have found.

Is there any way through which I can add each translation in separate Book collection and when I change the language from setting menu, text of the whole translation changes?

This feature will be favourable for comparative studies.

Hope you’ve got, what I want to describe.

Humble Regards.
Raja Sand
Pakistan

You can put each translation in a different collection. The screen capture below is from my testing collection that has 16 collections. (Only WEB NT) is a complete NT the others are only very small.

Name your collections and abbreviations appropriately.

Sorry I couldn’t get you…

Can you make what you have built available online?

Actually I can’t share the app before completion.

Reading your other posts, I think I understand what you are asking.

You have multiple collections and want the interface language to change when the collection changes. For most the interface language is set by whatever the user has as their interface language. I can’t see the feature being popular.

You can create a Contents Menu that takes you to each version and the back arrow at the top left takes you back to the menu taking 2 touches instead of the 4 needed to change collection via the button in the top right of the text window. That menu can be in multiple scripts.

@Raja_Sand, just to make this 100% clear, I believe @mcquayi means, “For most people, the interface language of the Scripture app changes to match whatever the user has as their OS interface language” – i.e. whatever language has been chosen for Android/iOS itself.

@mcquayi, I take it you mean languages? I.e. just as the rest of the Scripture app interface can be in multiple languaes, so can the contents page?

Actually, I haven’t yet used contents pages: are they part of the project, and therefore typically in the language of the Scripture text? or does the language of the contents page depend on the language chosen by the user for the interface of the Scripture app? Just now I was thinking the latter, but thinking a little deeper, I’m guessing it’s the former, right?

I don’t know whether I’ll explain/clear it to you or not, but I try.

Actually I have multiple translation, I want to put them in different collections. As:

Collection Name = Language
Collection 01 = Sindhi
Collection 02 = Urdu
Collection 03 = Saraiki
Collection 04 = Punjabi
Collection 05 = Dhatki
Collection 06 = Gujrati
Collection 07 = English

I have also given 7 interface language translations.
Actually I want to do this, When user changes the Interface Language, the collection gets changed to that language. I am doing this because I want to give a single app for whole population of society/country. If someone is Punjabi speaker and he/she wants to read in punjabi, he just change the interface language and text gets changed automatic.

Hope you’ve got my idea.

Humble Regards
Raja Sand

Yes, I understand you situation, as I have struggled with a similar thing. However, it is not always a direct one-to-one relationship between book collection languages and interface languages. So I think there needs to be an option for the user interface language to “follow” the book collection language, but it needs to be able to be over-ridden within the settings.

For example, I have 6 book collections (1 language in 4 scripts + 2 others):

but 7 interface languages (including Hindi which isn’t one of my book collections):

So I need to be able to tell SAB whether (i) changing the Book Collection should automatically trigger a change in the interface language, or (ii) changing the interface language should trigger changing the book collection. And similarly with the keyboard settings. It can all get very complicated very quickly. But I agree that it would be very useful to have one “follow” the other so that a user doesn’t have to return to the settings to change the “other piece”.

Perhaps a check box option in the Book Collection settings which says “Also change interface language [to this language/script]” which was set ON by default would solve this issue.

Actually this is what is I am trying to suggest.
Can this be applicable in current version of SAB 5.2?
If not then please consider my feature request.

Humble Regards.

This is an old post but I would like to echoe this request. I’m involved in some projects were the Scripture text is available in two different scripts. When the user changes the text to another script (or language), it would be good for the interface to change as well, and vice versa. In these projects. we do not set the interface to match the OS language because most of the users’ devices have a third language (LWC) as their phone language. Which they may not prefer as their interface language of the Scripture app.

Maybe the easiest way to do this is have a popup dialog/screen when the user changes book collection (set to appear per book e.g. “Show the interface language choice when this Book collection is chosen”) that asks if the user wants to change language and displays the ui language setting to choose from.

Or, make this a first dialog option similar to “Show the layout configuration screen when the app is first launched” setting. e.g. “Show the interface language choice screen when the app is first launched”

Also, the default title of the layout configuration screen (“Select Language & Layout”) indicates this could include the ui language selection, so maybe combining these would be another option e.g.