Publishing multiple APK files to Google Play Store

I have enabled this option to generate device-specifc APKs to reduce the APK size and got 4 outputs (*-x86.apk, *-arm.apk, *-x86_64.apk, *-arm64.apk).

When I try to upload them to Google Play, it accepts the first one, and rejects the other 3 ones citing all 4 APKs have same version code.

Rules for uploading multiple APKS to play store :

1. All APKs you publish for the same application must have the same package name and be signed with the same certificate key.
  2. Each APK must have a different version code, specified by the android:versionCode attribute.
  3. Each APK must not exactly match the configuration support of another APK.

https://developer.android.com/google/play/publishing/multiple-apks

Can anyone advice how we could publish apps like these to Google Play? If I disable the multiple APKs option, then the output APK will be around 90 MB, and device specific APK is only 40MB.

During the app build process, the compiler should assign a different version code to each APK. This was not configured correctly in 7.0. It has been fixed in 7.0.1, so each generated APK has a different four digit version code.

1 Like

Thanks, it is working now and we were able to upload multiple APKs to Google Play.

How do I get to this “Multiple APKs” setting?

The Multiple APKs setting is visible if needed. The two situations that warrant this setting is:

1. using Crosswalk
  2. enabling sharing verses using audio or video (adds FFmpeg)

Both of these libraries are relatively large.

BEWARE: If you encourage or depend on Bluetooth or Wifi sharing between users, enabling this feature will limit the type of devices that the users will be able to share the app with. By keeping the app in one APK, then the end user will be able to share with the most people.

NOTE: Scriptoria does not currently support Multiple APKs. We still need to make changes to Scriptoria to handle publishing multiple APKs. It is the next feature on the list (after publishing HTML and PWAs to websites).

Thanks,
Chris