As our app project with SAB is nearly how we want it to be, I am looking more into how we will publish it.
I have 2 questions:
- The links for Scriptoria in SAB do not work, what do I do? Is there anyone I can contact directly about that? They haven’t been working for a few weeks now.
- I do not have easy access to an Apple computer, is it still possible to produce an iOS app? Is it possible to send the SAB project file to someone who has SAB on their Apple and they upload it or is it more complicated than that?
You can talk to @ChrisHubbard.
There are multiple costs associated with publishing on iOS.
- The US$99 per year developer fee.
- The US$25 one off access to App Store
With the $99 per year you can make lots of apps, but if they all come out of SAB then the second and subsequent ones may not be accepted as they look the same as the first one.
Because of the costs and the more complex situation, some are creating Progressive Web Apps from the HTML exported from SAB. This requires a web hosting to work but gives the users the option to have an icon on their phone that starts the app. Ask if you want more on this. It lacks features compared to an app but it is usable.
FYI, there is a new Scriptoria category on the community site. After about a week, I am going to move this post over to that category.
Sorry for the slow reply. To answer your questions …
- I fixed the Scriptoria link on the App Publishing page in Scripture App Builder. Thanks for reporting that.
- I am working on supporting publishing to the Apple App Store without having to have a Mac to create and maintain the project. There are many challenges, but in the last couple of weeks I have found solutions to a couple of the biggest ones (that have kept me from progressing on it for several years). There is a $99 per year fee for the developer account. If you are a nonprofit organization, you can apply for a fee waiver.
Personally, I would like for us to officially support a Progressive Web App (PWA). I need to talk to Richard (the main SAB developer) about it.
For His Great Name,