SAB 11.1 for Mac on macOS Sonoma

Users who have notices that Scripture App Builder 11.1 was released have installed it on macOS Sonoma 14.1.2 and have reported that it crashes on startup.

This is cause by a Apple bug in macOS Sonoma after building the app with the latest version of Xcode. If you want the details, see this bug report.

The work-around is not great, but does work.

1. Open the Applications folder where Scripture App Builder is installed
  2. Right-click on Scripture App Builder and select “Show Package Contents” (which will open another Finder window)
  3. Open the Contents folder
  4. Right-click on Info.plist and select Open With > TextEdit
  5. Scroll to the bottom and find “-Dapple.laf.useScreenMenuBar=true” and change true to false
  6. Save the file
  7. Launch Scripture App Builder

This will disable the menu integration with the macOS menu bar. You app will look like this:

I am going to see if I can change the startup code so that it only does this on Sonoma. But this will at least allow you to start SAB 11.1.

For His Great Name,
Chris Hubbard

1 Like

Works as expected, thank you for your quick response and workaround regarding this Sonoma issue.

I rebuilt the AppBuilder installs for 11.1. Please use the one from today (2023-12-07). It disables the ScreenMenuBar for Sonoma+ (it is still used in prior macOS versions).

Thanks,
Chris

1 Like