Scripture App Builder will not launch

I’m having trouble getting Scripture App Builder to run.

I have JDK 13 installed in the default directory (C:/Program Files/Java/jdk-13.0.1) with the environment path variables configured. I’ve tested that the install and environment variables are good by compiling and running a simple Hello World program from the command line.

I then installed the latest version of the Scripture App Builder, but when I attempt to launch it nothing happens. I tried navigating directly to the /bin folder of the Scripture App Builder and running the .jar file, and I get a NullPointerException as follows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\SIL\Scripture App Builder\bin>java -jar scripture-app-builder.jar
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.sil.app.builder.common.settings.BuildEnvironment.findJdkFolderFromRootDir(BuildEnvironment.java:1065)
        at org.sil.app.builder.common.settings.BuildEnvironment.findJdkFolderOnWindows(BuildEnvironment.java:1143)
        at org.sil.app.builder.common.settings.BuildEnvironment.findJdkFolder(BuildEnvironment.java:1176)
        at org.sil.app.builder.common.settings.BuildEnvironment.initJdkFolderIfNotAlready(BuildEnvironment.java:1217)
        at org.sil.app.builder.common.AppBuilderCore.loadSettings(AppBuilderCore.java:116)
        at org.sil.app.builder.scripture.ScriptureAppBuilderCore.loadSettings(ScriptureAppBuilderCore.java:229)
        at org.sil.app.builder.common.AppBuilderCore.<init>(AppBuilderCore.java:42)
        at org.sil.app.builder.common.reader.CommonReaderAppBuilderCore.<init>(CommonReaderAppBuilderCore.java:28)
        at org.sil.app.builder.scripture.ScriptureAppBuilderCore.<init>(ScriptureAppBuilderCore.java:39)
        at org.sil.app.builder.scripture.ScriptureAppBuilderFrame.createAppBuilder(ScriptureAppBuilderFrame.java:56)
        at org.sil.app.builder.scripture.ScriptureAppBuilderFrame.access$000(ScriptureAppBuilderFrame.java:27)
        at org.sil.app.builder.scripture.ScriptureAppBuilderFrame$1.run(ScriptureAppBuilderFrame.java:39)
        at java.desktop/java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:313)
        at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:770)
        at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:721)
        at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:715)
        at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:391)
        at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:85)
        at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:740)
        at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:203)
        at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:124)
        at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:113)
        at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
        at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
        at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:90)

Any help or advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

I encountered the same issue when installing SAB the other day. I resolved it by installing Amazon Corretto as mentioned in the installation instructions (https://software.sil.org/downloads/r/scriptureappbuilder/Scripture-App-Builder-01-Installation-Instructions.pdf section 2.2 on page 5).

Yes for the JDK you can only use a JDK 8.

Thank you all; with the Amazon Coretto JDK installed everything is working fine.