Search crashes the app on Android 4 and 5

It appears to me that all apps built with the latest SAB versions crash on Android 4 and 5 whenever the Search is selected. Not a lot of people use Android 4 and 5 anymore, but still it would be good if this can be fixed soon. Thanks!

@Friedo I tested on my 4.4.2 phone and it does not crash with a search. I tested with a English text (Latin script), though I expect you are in a different script. I have another version 4 to test with but no version 5 to try.

Can you make a project of yours available for testing? Send me a link via private message or email.

The test on the 4.4.4 version did cause a crash. This was a Huawei brand. The one that worked was a Lenovo.

@mcquayi Thanks for looking at it! So you may not need a project from me then? I have the problem on a Sony with Android 5.0 and also on Nox Player, for example in emulator Samsung Galaxy S9 (Android 5) and emulator Google Pixel 2 (Android 4). It seems to be independent of the Script that is used in the app, I happens with Latin and with Cyrillic Script.
Google also shows some crash reports in the developer account in the “Pre Launch Report” section. Four different crashes and three of them on Android 4 or 5. I could send you the information that they show there. Just not sure if it’s related to this particular issue…

I debugged into it. We are calling an API that was made available in API 23 (Android 6.0). I contacted @richard to find out how to work around this.


My app is crashing on iOS but not on Android. This happens in the Simulators and on an actual phone. Once you type in a word to search for, as soon as you hit enter or tap ‘search’ (on the virtual keyboard) the app immediately closes.
Any suggestions? Is this an RTL issue? I tried searching for an English word with the app in diglot mode (English as the 2nd language) and in triglot, but my guess is that it searches in the 1st language only.

I haven’t had this problem on iOS yet. Has this happened with recent SAB versions only? I don’t work with RTL much. But I just checked it in an app that has RTL text and it worked. Yes, I think so too, it only searches the 1st language on the page. You may want to check the problem with Chris Hubbard.

I’ve only been trying recently, I checked previous sim files going back to January this year and they all crash. I don’t have anything older having only just started with a Mac. Chris is already on the case.

This problem appears to be a result of the separator in the number format in the Search_Number_Found string, which you have defined as دۆزرایەوە: %،d . If you remove the separator for now (changing it to دۆزرایەوە: %d), it doesn’t seem to crash. Or change it to a standard comma. I will continue looking at this but the java translated code formatting the string is crashing with that separator in the format. At the moment, I can eliminate the crash, but I don’t have a way to make it translate correctly with that separator.

Thanks David, that fixed it, I just removed the comma, it doesn’t seem necessary and no comma would be better than a backward one :slight_smile:.