Seeking ways to outsource Fine Tune Audio Timings with COVID-19

I can’t reproduce your error. I can’t get it to not work.

When I choose Fine tuning timing files, it takes me through several dialogs:

I choose the second option in the first dialog.

I choose the first option on the second dialog.

Here either is fine. If I choose to zip, I will unzip and test
But if I choose not to zip I will look at the set then Zip to send to someone.

When sending to someone the HTML settings are ignored and audio is put in the audio folder. In the Fine-tuning HTML the link is made to that audio folder.

My HTML file at the bottom looks like this:

<div class="audio-player">
    <audio id="audio" controls>
      <source id="audio1" src="audio/web-Mat01.mp3" />
    </audio>
  </div>

Get back to me if you still are having problems.

Hi Ian,
I don’t see any of the dialogue boxes, so maybe I’m looking the wrong place. The only way I know to Fine Tune Timings it to select Audio under the app I’m working on on the left. Then the second tab is Audio Files where I add the audio files and create time file drafts with Aeneas. When I right click on a Timing.txt file then I can select Fine Tune Timings…

On my installation of SAB this procedure takes me directly to Fine Tuning that chapter with the HTML file. I don’t have any of the dialogue boxes you are speaking of. Do they only occur once and I need to find the location to edit those preferences?

Where did you choose Fine tuning timing to get all these options?
I’m using SAB 7.2, build 65, released July 9, 2020
Thanks for all your help!

@mcquayi, I’m using SAB 8.0 and don’t see these fine-tuning dialogs either. I know that some fine-tuning HTML files that I’ve created in the past had more than one <source> option, including the online path I think, but all I get now is the full path to my MP3 files. What I’ve been doing is using Notepad++'s “Find in Files” feature to correct the path in these files every time, which is kind of a pain.

BTW, remoting the fine-tuning is something we’ve been doing for ages. It’s actually been a useful engagement tool, in that it allowed us to crowd-source the work to people who didn’t speak the language. (We had them do it on the Latin transliteration that Aeneas used.)

• You have to be on the collection in the left pane.
  • Right click on the collection or book in the left pane and choose Fine Tune Timings…

Aaaahhhh! I must have used that one time before, and then later I was puzzled why I had to manually edit the HTML.

Is it intentional that the dialogs only appear when creating the Fine Tuning files from that approach? Surely that’s an oversight and the experience should be consistent, whichever path one takes to get there?

It would also be lovely if it would remember the selections made in these dialogs from one time to the next.

/dan

In the latest version of Scripture App Builder (8.0.1), the Fine Tuning wizard appears whether you select ‘Fine Tune Timings…’ from a book collection, book, or selected audio files. It also remembers previously selected options.

Awesome! Thank you! :slight_smile:

@richard, please send on our sincere words of thanks for all the team that continues to update the app with suggestions from users like myself. My strength is “ideation” so I’m accustomed to having lots of ideas (which at least I think are good). But the SAB team has done a great job of integrating the most important of these updates that can help everyone.

2 Likes

Hi all,
Back to the original topic in the post, the SAB assist volunteer team are now up and running efficiently, allowing for outsourcing of Fine Tune Audio Timings. I’m the liaison with the group so let me know if you want to take advantage of this service.
Andrew_shafe@sil.org

Hi again,
Just a reminder that the SAB assist volunteer group are ready and willing to help you with fine-tuning timing files. This can potentially save you tons of time! Please let me know if you’re interested.
Blessings,
Andrew

Is the SAB assist volunteer group still accepting fine turn timing work? Do they have experience fine tuning for languages in a non-roman script like Thai.

Roger Green

Hi Roger,
Yes, they are accepting fine-tuning work, but unfortunately it has to be in a roman script. Is there any possibility of converting Thai into a phonetic roman equivalent? I’m asking from complete ignorance of the potential challenges in doing this!
Blessings,
Andrew

@Andrew_Shafe and @rgreen620,
I know that the SAB process that creates the rough draft of the timing files does create a file that is romanized. In our case I think the process uses something like Esperanto. So if the project could submit that along with the files then maybe the volunteer group could use that for the fine tuning work?
Andy

Yes, that sounds like it could work. To prepare the files for the volunteers, we run a first pass of the synchronization through Aeneas from within SAB. It’s helpful if the chapter audio titles can be adjusted to be as close as possible. Then use the Fine Tuning File Manager to export the timings as zip files, including the audio files. Let me know if you have any questions or need clarification. Thanks!