Ubuntu 14.04 installation help

Hi, I am stuck installing on Ubuntu 14.04. Here is the issue:

• The following packages have unmet dependencies: scripture-app-builder : Depends python-aeneas but it is not going to be installed.
    Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Can someone please help ?

Another issue that you are going to have with 14.04 is that it doesn’t have Java 8. You will need to do the following to get Java 8 from a PPA (this is from updates to documentation for the next release):

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:openjdk-r/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install scripture-app-builder

I think the real problem is the Java 8 dependency, not python-aeneas. I checked and that package is there for 14.04 for both 32-bit and 64-bit.

Chris

Hi Chris,
thanks for the commands, which I applied to virtual machine, where it worked.

However, after applying the same commands to my base computer, I still ecounter this hideous error:

sudo apt-get install scripture-app-builder
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
scripture-app-builder : Depends: python-aeneas but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Do you have any advice for me ?

What are dependencies and what does it mean if they are “unmet” and how do I fix this ?

Ubuntu uses APT to install packages. A package declares what other packages are necessary for it to be installed. These are the dependencies. This can include the package name and versions that are compatible. An unmet dependency means that a package has declared a dependency and there is not a version of the dependent package that matches the requirements.

Can you enter these commands and reply with the results? This will help with figuring out the dependency issue.

lsb_release -a
apt-cache policy openjdk-8-jdk python-aeneas scripture-app-builder

Chris

First command response:
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty

Second command response:

Can you please send me your email address since this website doesn’t allow me to send links and linksare the output of second command.

My email is:

tbvtranslation at gmail dot com

I sent you an email to reply to…

Hi Chris,

Is there a way we can make progress in installing to Ubuntu 14.04 ? I am stuck. Can you please help ?

Did you reply to my message to you to get the output of those commands? Did you receive my message?

Chris

Thanks. I just sent you an email since this forum doesn’t allow pasting of links.

I looked at the output in the email. I see that your system is running trusty and that you have both xenial and trusty package repositories for packages.sil.org configured. That could be causing your problem.

I would look at the files in /etc/apt and remove the lines that reference xenial. If you used the instructions from http://packages.sil.org to configure the package repository, then you should look at /etc/apt/sources.list.d/packages-sil-org.list. There may be multiple lines in there: one for trusty and one for xenial. If so delete the line for xenial and run sudo apt-get update and try to install Scripture App Builder again by running sudo apt-get install scripure-app-builder.

Chris

@TBV_Translation, did this help?

It did not help.
I removed xenial line from sources.list and made attempt to install. However I received this output:

Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
scripture-app-builder : Depends: python-aeneas but it is not going to be installed

Can you please use the output and interpret what is aenias and why is it blocking the installation ?

I have been emailing with someone else who I believe is working with you. It seems like you got it installed, but now getting build errors? Is that correct? I gave that person a suggestion to try to fix the install issues.

Yes, that’s right. Our team is having build issues and I apologize for not asking you for permission to share your email address.