Unable to build APK after update to 10.0.1

Updated SAB to 10.0.1 (Windows)

Updated JDK and SDK using the install wizards to the default C:\jdk and C:\sdk folders.

Checked that the locations in Settings matched the install paths.

JDK Location:

C:\jdk\zulu11.54.25-ca-fx-jdk11.0.14.1-win_x64

SDK Location:

C:\sdk

Building the APK does not get far

Error text:
C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Local\Temp\App Builder\build\SAB.001\a>set ERROR_CODE=0

*** SCRIPTURE APP BUILDER ***
*** 10.0.1 ***

*** Building Android app ***

App Project:   Standalone Audio
App Name:      Audio Bibles
App Version:   1.0
Package:       za.co.biblesociety.bibles.audio
Apk Filename:  Audio_Bibles-1.0.apk

Grandroid:     Yes
Analytics:     Yes
Expiry:        No
App Builder:   C:\Program Files (x86)\SIL\Scripture App Builder
Audio:         Download from Internet

*** Setting paths ***

JAVA_HOME=C:\jdk\zulu11.54.25-ca-fx-jdk11.0.14.1-win_x64
ANDROID_HOME=C:\sdk
GRADLE_HOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\SIL\Scripture App Builder\tools\gradle
MAVEN_HOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\SIL\Scripture App Builder\tools\maven

Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\SIL\Scripture App Builder\tools\maven\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\SIL\Scripture App Builder\tools\gradle\bin;C:\sdk\tools;C:\jdk\zulu11.54.25-ca-fx-jdk11.0.14.1-win_x64\bin;C:\Python27\;C:\Python27\Scripts;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\WINDOWS\System32\OpenSSH\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Program Files\dotnet\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files\Git\cmd;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\Program Files\Calibre2\;C:\Program Files (x86)\FFmpeg\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\eSpeak\command_line;C:\Program Files\nodejs\;C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;;C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Local\Programs\Microsoft VS Code\bin;C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Roaming\npm
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC

*** JDK ***

openjdk version "11.0.14.1" 2022-02-08 LTS
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Zulu11.54+25-CA (build 11.0.14.1+1-LTS)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Zulu11.54+25-CA (build 11.0.14.1+1-LTS, mixed mode)

*** Android SDK ***

Target Android Platform:    Android 12 (API 31)
Minimum Android Platform:   Android 4.1 Jelly Bean (API 16)
SDK Tools Version:          cmdline-tools 6.0
SDK Build Tools Version:    32.0.0
SDK Platform Tools Version: 33.0.2

*** Compiling Android APK ***

No internet connection found. Using compiler in offline mode.

C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Local\Temp\App Builder\build\SAB.001\a>call gradle clean assembleRelease --offline --warning-mode=none
Starting a Gradle Daemon, 1 incompatible and 1 stopped Daemons could not be reused, use --status for details

> Configure project :
WARNING:Using flatDir should be avoided because it doesn't support any meta-data formats.

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
Could not determine the dependencies of task ':mergeReleaseNativeLibs'.
> Could not resolve all dependencies for configuration ':releaseRuntimeClasspath'.
   > Could not create task ':generateDebugLintModel'.
      > Could not create task ':compileDebugJavaWithJavac'.
         > In order to compile Java 9+ source, please set compileSdkVersion to 30 or above

* Try:
> Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace.
> Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.
> Run with --scan to get full insights.

* Get more help at https://help.gradle.org

BUILD FAILED in 1m 1s
The system cannot find the path specified.

BUILD FAILED:
The signed apk was not built successfully. This could be due to an internet connection problem. On the first build, the compiler needs to connect to the internet to download some library files.

C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Local\Temp\App Builder\build\SAB.001\a>

So this was the first build.

• Were you online?
  • Did you have Tools > Settings > Build Settings > Use compiler offline unchecked?

Hi @mcquayi

I have built this successfully in SAB 9.3.
Use compiler offline is not checked.

I missed the line “No internet connection found. Using compiler in offline mode.”
Internet access was not behind a proxy or anything like that, and was working fine for everything else.

I didn’t use the old JDK and SDK folders when installing the new versions of both. Not sure if there might be some settings or environment variables left behind by either that could be interfering.

@mcquayi

So far I have:

• Uninstalled Java runtimes (just in case - I did this before uninstalling SAB with no success).

• scraped the registry for any of the old JDK/SDK entries (not for the faint of heart),

• uninstalled and deleted any leftover SAB/JDK/SDK folders.

• Reinstalled SAB 10.0.1

• When trying to use the wizard to install Azul Zulu JDK, I am getting an error downloading at work (proxy/firewall, etc.)
    so I installed it manually as per the Installation Instructions.

• NOTE: I had installed using this method with the previous version of SAB, and a part of the install is Add the PATH to environment variable. This could have caused the issue if SAB was trying to use the old version of JDK?

• I checked SAB JDK Location path and it reflects the install path which different if using the wizard.

• Installed the SDK (similar install issue at work, but managed to get a direct connection)

SAB 10.0.1 is now working for me!

I think it might have been the JDK PATH issue mentioned above.

Good to hear it is working.

Wrong Java versions can cause issues. We are now using JRE 11 for the application itself and JDK 11 for the build.

1 Like

Just to confirm: I had the correct Java version. There are just two ways of installing Java presented on the SAB website/documentation (Wizard or download and install) with different install locations that might cause problems if you change from one method to the other.