Use PicList.txt to specify image location

I’d like to use the same set of illustrations for multiple apps/languages. I don’t want to edit the Paratext files because (1) these illustrations are only for the app, not for the print editions, and (2) I’ll use the same illustrations in the same locations for multiple projects but I don’t want to waste time doing the same steps to add 100’s of illustrations in each Paratext project. (3) The translators really don’t want to see 100’s of illustrations in Paratext.

The solution: Allow the app creator to specify image locations using a text file.

PTXprint already does this. It can create a PicList.txt from an existing .sfm file, and can use this file to specify image location for printing. SAB could use the same file format for specifying image location for apps.

Here’s the PTXprint PicList.txt format:
% PicList Generated by PTXprint.
% Location |Image Name|Img.Size|Position on Page||Illustration|Ref.
% book ch.vs |filename.ext|span/col|t/b/tl/tr/bl/br||Caption Text|ch:vs
% (See end of list for more help for trouble-shooting)

RUT 1.2 |GPS_Ruth.jpg|col|bl|||1:2
RUT 1.3 |1_03_Ruth.jpg|col|tr|||1:3
[…]

Thanks, Eric. Yes, this looks like an interesting feature to add!
We already have code to insert videos at specific places, so we could extend this for pictures.

This feature has been added to Scripture App Builder 8.0.

Go to Images > Illustrations, add images, and then Add Image Placements to select the PicList.txt file.

You can also double-click on an image to add or modify placement information manually.

1 Like

Does this use the new format of PicList.txt file? It is more like USFM3 syntax, with some additional fields:

@mjpenny can provide more details if needed.

Yes, the latest version of Scripture App Builder (8.0.1) does support this new format, to bring it in line with the release candidate version of PTXprint (0.9.1) released a few days ago.

Great! Thanks! :slight_smile:

@richard, I’m so excited about this feature, but I can’t actually get it to work. The images show up in the SAB viewer tab just fine, so then I build the APK, but they don’t show up in the app. It doesn’t matter whether I manually add placements or import them. This seems to be the same issue as reported under the topic “Placement of jpg images…”

BTW, for best compatibility with PtxPrint, when exporting a piclist file, are you sure you want to store the position information in pgpos? I understand from @mjpenny that the meaning of values here is in the process of evolving, and does not align well with app use. Perhaps name it scrpos?