Won't let me change a [ (left square bracket)

I am trying to change all of the square brackets [ and ] with ornate brackets (FD3F, FD3E). This is how they do OT quote in the NT in the printed Bible.
It works fine for right but not for left (when working in RTL it is hard to know which is which, the point is one works and the other doesn’t). When I try left SAB gives me this

I have tried entering the Unicode for each symbol and that doesn’t either.
Any suggestions? Is this just a bug in SAB?
It happened in both Windows and Mac.

Try with the \ like this:
Find: \[

([ has a special use in RegEx and the \ tells it you want to find that character, not start that kind of expression.)

I agree with Corey that that’s probably the problem. As you mentioned, it can be a little hard to know which ornate bracket is on which side - probably trial and error is your best bet. But I just wanted to point out that you may also need to insert RTL or LTR marks to get text around these brackets to appear properly (see https://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U2000.pdf, which says they are U+200F and U+200E, respectively). That also will need some trial and error… :slight_smile: When you get it all figured out, you might post your solution here for the next guy.

Thanks for the suggestion, it gives me the same error code though.
I’m afraid I don’t know what RegEx is, would that help me in any way?

Yes, I was expecting a bit of trial and error. If I get it figured out, I’ll post here.

Do not put spaces between the \ and the [ so it should be:

\[

It works fine for me.

Thanks @ChrisHubbard, that worked. Here is a screenshot of the ornate brackets in action:

If you work in RTL you won’t be surprised to hear that it didn’t work first time. Above is what I tried first time (ie replace square left with ornate left) and below is what worked. Because different browsers display ﴿ in various ways, I’ll add screenshots from SAB so you can see what it looks like.
Screenshot 2021-02-08 at 10.16.50 Screenshot 2021-02-08 at 10.17.11
I found the Unicode Symbol site helpful as you can see a symbol in different fonts there is a lot of other information.