Anyone created a Study Bible App? Advice needed

A Myanmar based Seminary inquired about using SAB to create a Study Bible App with lots of notes for a national language Bible. The Bible text is already in paratext and they have permissions needed. They have the NT notes completed and are doing OT notes, but these notes would all need to be manually entered into a paratext project which is likely to take months or years.

Does anyone have experience making a Study Bible app with popup notes (footnotes or glossary entries) using the Paratext and SAB platform? What would you recommend? Are there ways to automate the process of entering hundreds of footnotes?

Has anyone seen a different Bible app building platform that might be easier for footnote entry for creating a Study Bible?

Roger Green in SE Asia

I have been involved in this type project before and may be able to help. The SAB bit is the easy bit - getting the notes into the paratect files is the major task.

Here are some initial questions:-

Q1 What format are the notes in?
Q2 Can you send a few typical examples?
Q3 Is the location of each note marked in anyway in the Bible? If so please supply a couple of examples.

No promises - but if I have more information I will know better if / what help I can provide.

Thank you

Maurice M

Dear Maurice,

Thank you for offering assistance. Let me introduce you to Jeremy Bustle jeremybustle@gmail.com who is a coordinator for this Study Bible Project.

Jeremy would you please share more info answering Maurice’s questions below. Then he may be able to give you suggestions for the best way to proceed using Paratext+Scripture App Builder.

Jeremy it may be easier if you sign up for this user group at https://community.scripture.software.sil.org/ , then you can reply within the post and others may benefit.

Please copy me so I can keep up with the conversation.

Praying for a good way forward, Roger

Hi Guys,

Q1 What format are the notes in?
A1 Currently just in Microsoft Word
Q2 Can you send a few typical examples?
A2 Let me try to attach a small book in both English and Burmese for you to review.
Q3 Is the location of each note marked in anyway in the Bible? If so please supply a couple of examples.
A3 In the printed text, there’s no marking in the text of Scripture to indicate a Study Note. But we were hoping that a superscript symbol of some kind could identify places where notes occur in the text on the app. (The existing English version of this Study Bible done by Grace to You has nothing to indicate where a note corresponds to the text. You click on a separate icon which brings up all the notes for that chapter, and then you have to scan the whole chapter to see whether there’s a note for a given word or phrase.)

This chat does not allow new users to insert links and I don’t see a way to attach something. So, I will follow up with an email.

Good day all,

I wanted to share how Biblica is doing their Study Bible, yet to be released.
The study material is shown after a section of verses and usually have about 2 sections of Study Notes within a chapter.

Regarding Q1, these notes would need to be converted into USFM format if you want it to display within scripture. If that is not required, you could import the file to Scripture App Builder to be used in another tab (there is a section in the help guide “building apps” regarding tabs).

In Paratext, we use \im or \imi for the tagging of the Study notes for Scripture App Builder to understand it.
Within Scripture App Builder, under the book section, you would need to play around with the setting to see what can work for your material.

Below is a snippet from Matthew 1 showing notes for verses 1-17.

\v 17 So there were 14 generations from Abraham to David. There were 14 from David until the Jewish people were forced to go away to Babylon. And there were 14 from that time to the Messiah. 

\p
\im  \bd  1:1–17\bd* For \k  Jews\k*\ef -  \fr  1:1–17 \fk  Jew: \ft  The name refers to people from the tribe of Judah and family line of Jacob. Jacob was Abrahamʼs grandson.\ef* in the \k  first century\k*\ef -  \fr  1:1–17 \fk  First century: \ft  The first hundred years in what many people call the AD time period. It comes right after the BC time period. Jesus lived in Israel then, around the time of 4 BC to AD 30. The Roman government ruled over Israel and many other nations during the first century.\ef*, \k  family lines\k*\ef -  \fr  1:1–17 \fk  Family lines: \ft  A written list of all the people in a family. These lists were very important in the ancient world. They are also called genealogies. It showed the history of a family line.\ef* were very important. \k  Jesus\k*\ef -  \fr  1:1–17 \fk  Jesus: \ft  The human being who is Godʼs Son and is the Saviour of the world. Jesus is God just like the Father is God and the Holy Spirit is God. They are the three persons of the one and only God. In the Hebrew language, Jesus means the Lord saves. When he lived on earth, Jesusʼs mother was Mary. Joseph was the human father who raised Jesus when he was young. Jesus grew up in Nazareth with brothers and sisters. He died and then God raised him from the dead. Now Jesus rules as King in heaven. He will return to earth to rule as King over everything God created.\ef*ʼ family line shows that he was from \k  Abrahamʼs\k*\ef -  \fr  1:1–17 \fk  Abraham: \ft  A man from Mesopotamia who became the father of the nation of Israel. He believed Godʼs promise that he would have a son. He was married to Sarah, and their son was named Isaac. God made a covenant with Abraham and all his children. Abraham had a second son named Ishmael.\ef* family. He was also from the royal family of \k  King David\k*\ef -  \fr  1:1–17 \fk  King David: \ft  The son of Jesse. David was a shepherd when he was young. He later became Israelʼs most famous king. His great-grandmother was Ruth, from Moab. He played instruments and wrote songs and poems. God made a covenant with David that someone from his family line would rule Israel for ever. The one who would fulfil that covenant is Jesus Christ. (See \w  Son of David\w* \xt Matthew 9:18-38\xt* )\ef*. Jews knew that the \k  Messiah\k*\ef -  \fr  1:1–17 \fk  Messiah: \ft  The Saviour who would rescue the Jews from all their enemies. This true king would rule fairly. He would bring peace. He is also called the son of David.\ef* would come from these two family lines. 

This will be displayed in the following way in the app:

The blue bolded words can be pressed and will display a popup:

Bolded words may not be required, so a simplfied version of the notes could be the following:
\im \bd 1:1–17\bd* For Jews in the first century, family lines were very important. Jesus’ family line shows that he was from Abraham’s family. He was also from the royal family of King David. Jews knew that the Messiah would come from these two family lines.

Please feel to reach out to me if you have any questions or need some reference files to play around with.

Kind regards,
James Cuthbert