Apple Connect asks for the size of downloaded audio files

Hello,
There was an issue with publishing an app at apple store. The message I’ve received:

Guideline 4.2.3 - Design - Minimum Functionality

We were required to download or unpack additional resources to continue using your app; however, the size of the download was not disclosed. If your app requires additional resources, you must disclose the size of the download.

Next Steps

To resolve this issue, please revise your app to include a mechanism to disclose the download size of the additional resources needed to continue using your app.

I asked if it would be enough to tell about downloaded files in the About Text:

The audio is downloaded separately for every chapter of the text. Would it be okay if we write about it in the About Text? Like this: “Please be aware that the size of the audio files that are downloaded is between 1 MB and 5.8 MB. The total size of all the audio files is…”
Would it be enough to publish the app?

But they replied that is is not enough:

To resolve the Guideline 4.2.3 issue, please revise your app to include a mechanism to disclose the download size of the additional resources needed to continue using your app. Additionally, be sure to include a prompt to allow users to choose whether or not to start the download of the additional resources.

Once you have made the appropriate changes to your app, we can continue with our review.

Could it be fixed in SAB?

They want the size to be in the popup dialog when downloading? SAB currently doesn’t know the size, but it could be added to the metadata of the app.

Where is this, that downloads of content have to explicitly state the size, stated in the App Review Guidelines is required? I have never seen this for any other app. Do they have an example where this had to be done for another app? Curious.

I think this is a reasonable request and an improvement to usability. We have plans to also have an audio file manager where users could see what audio they have, add audio for whole book (or multiple books) at one time or remove audio.

Thanks,
Chris

On this past Monday (June 22,2020), there was an Apple Press Release that had information on New App Store Review Processes.

Additionally, two changes are coming to the app review process and will be implemented this summer. First, developers will not only be able to appeal decisions about whether an app violates a given guideline of the App Store Review Guidelines, but will also have a mechanism to challenge the guideline itself. Second, for apps that are already on the App Store, bug fixes will no longer be delayed over guideline violations except for those related to legal issues. Developers will instead be able to address the issue in their next submission.

Was this an update to app that was currently in the store? Could you ask them for this to be addressed on the next submission? It will take a bit of time for this to be made available in the next SAB release (7.2) which isn’t currently scheduled.

Thanks,
Chris

No, this is a new app. So it is not possible to publish apps with audio until the 7.2 SAB?
Thanks,
serge

OK. I believe a new release might come out as soon as next week. I have asked @richard about this specific issue about adding it for 7.2. You could ask them if you could address this in an update.

Chris

Ok, thanks! Didn’t know it going to be released this soon.
serge

We are working on this feature. It should be in the next release. Thanks for letting us know.

Chris

Hello,
I’ve installed SAB 7.2, but this problem stays - there is no file size in the message box, at least in the simulator. I attach the screenshot.
Maybe I should do something in the SAB settings to enable this?

It should be there and is working with my project. The increased blank space below download file tells me the change is in there. It is only blank if no file size is reported. One question would be whether the file sizes are appearing in SAB in the audio file list. If it isn’t there, it won’t be in the app. Beyond that, as a first step you could send me a copy of the simulator ipa file and I could see if the file size is passed in from SAB and I’m mishandling it or if there is another issue. If that doesn’t work, I would probably need the SAB project along with some of the audio files to determine what is going on.

Thank you for your reply. It’s true there is no file size in the SAB. Doesn’t file size appear when the source is local? And these files are downloaded from the internet. How do I provide file size?

I believe to add audio files to an app, even if they are remotely loaded, they must be present on the SAB system locally. They are not packaged with the resulting APK or IPA file, but they are required to be present locally when building the app. @mcquayi may be able to help more with this part. But SAB gets the file duration and the file length from the local copy of the file. If it is not present, then SAB can’t add the length to the app configuration, so the app has nothing to display.

You are right, thank you. When the files are on the computer it works fine.