Google Adwords say my SAB App Ad violates policy

My Adwords Universal App Campaign for my SAB app has been taken down by Google:

One or more of your AdWords remarketing lists have been disabled for violating personalized advertising
policy.
Below you can find the specific policy and the lists that are currently in violation of that policy.

They give a link to a generic policy, which says under ‘Identity and Belief’ : Advertisers can’t use identity and belief categories to target ads to users or to promote advertisers’ products or services. See below for specific examples of what we don’t allow.

And under ‘Religious Belief’, the following are banned:
places of worship, religious guidance, religious education or universities, religious products

My Adwords campaign produces automatically-generated adverts based on my Appstore page and a few simple phrases, for example : “Ecoutez la parole de Dieu”, “La Bible en …”, “Telechargez gratuitement” etc.

I am not targetting the app based on any belief categories, unless Google are doing this themselves by their own algorithms. Could they now have categorised all Bible apps as ‘religious products’ and hence banned all advertising of them? I’ve had some success lately in promoting my app with AdWords, so I’d like to find a way to get the ads live again. Anyone else had this kind of problem?

This seems to be a deliberate Google policy stopping AdWords for sites with religious content. See the following from a Christian publishing house a month ago:

I too had the same issue.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 3:18 AM
Subject: Remarketing lists disabled for use with Google Ads

Remarketing lists disabled for use with Google Ads.

One or more of your Google Ads remarketing lists have been disabled for violating personalized advertising policy.

Below you can find the specific policy and the lists that are currently in violation of that policy.

Religious belief in personalized advertising

Affected List(s):

• All visitors (AdWords) **[(ID: xxxxxxx)]

Learn more about Google Ads policy.

Thanks,

Google Ads Policy Team