Line spacing issue

Hi Everyone,

I have a issue with line spacing between chapter drop cap number and next two line. If anyone knows about it please help me.

Blessings,

C. Thiyagarajan

In the broader sense, it is because the next line in poetry is a new paragraph, where the next line in the prose is the same paragraph.

The class “top-spacing” has been added added to the next line.
Add the style to Custom Styles

div.top-spacing {
    padding-top: 0; // the default is 12px
}

This might cause the dropcap to overlap the next paragraph or push it to the side (if I remember correctly) which is probably why it has been done. You could try a smaller size e.g. 6px, but this might still cause spacing issues if the user changes the font size.

This is also an issue for lists (\li1 or \li2 etc.)

Are there any newer insights into how to address this problem? I have the same issue with one-line poetry at the beginning of a chapter:

But it puts in extra space even if the first poetry line is multi-line, when the spacing isn’t needed:

(Of course whether it is multi-line or not depends on the font size and screen width…)

So can someone tell me what it is doing? @GregAshleyCooper suggested that the class “top-spacing” has been added to the next line. I see a div.top-spacing in the text styles, at the bottom of the Poetry section. When is that class added? To a q1/2 that follows a q1 at the beginning of the chapter apparently. In other situations as well? I could change that to padding-top: 0; to see what it looks like. Does anyone have experience doing that?

I think in general it looks better with the top-padding at zero. Here is one case with a large chapter number, short \q1 immediately followed by \q2 that doesn’t have much margin for error:

I can imagine cases with smaller line spacing, etc. where you could get character crashes. But I think for my purposes, getting rid of the extra space is more important than the potential crash. For example, my first example now looks like this:

Note that the space before \v 2 is actually a \b marker, so that’s supposed to be there.

I’d try setting the line-height:20px; or line-height:0; for the Chapter number. The line-height should be no bigger than the font size of the \q You may still need to adjust the position of the number.

The 0 value works in dictionaries with super and sub scripts homograph numbers.

Right now div.c has no setting for line-height, so I assume it just takes the inherited height (from normal or whatever). I wonder what that would be… I haven’t had a chance to try your suggestion yet, but I assume you would still recommend setting div.top-spacing to 0 as well?