Long sentences parts option only records first half

When recording a long sentence, I hit the comma logo to get it divided into parts. Then the parts logo but can’t get the second part to record. What can I do

The “comma” icon is a display-only option. It simply displays the text broken out into shorter lines (By default, the text is broken at commas, semi-colons and colons, though you can change the settings to adjust this.)
The Record Long Line in Parts dialog box allows you to record a long line in (exactly) two parts. As the instructions at the top of that dialog box explain, you can click in the text to display the first part and the second part using different colors as a visual aid to help you remember which part to read as part 1 and which part to read as part 2. However, this is entirely optional. HearThis doesn’t care how much you read as each part. I have created a short video showing how to use this feature of HearThis. If after you have watched the video and tried to do your recording as illustrated, if you are still having problems and HearThis does not seem to be recording as expected, please let me know and I’ll try to help you further.

Thanks Tom.

I viewed the video twice and tried again doing all the things you did.

I clicked on the split parts button and got the division at the coma. Then I clicked on the parts button and heighted the first part with a different color. I could get the box to stay but could only record the first part. When I tried the second part it did not change the record button for part 2 but recorded over the first half. The playback button on part 2 never activated. Nor did the playback button for both parts together. I tried multiple times and got the same result.

Can you think of anything I’m doing wrong?

Kathie

image001.jpg

Most likely there’s either a bug in the program or there’s some kind of hardware problem. This sounds a lot like some of the problems reported as Problem recording long lines in parts.
As a diagnostic step, could you try it using your laptop’s built-in mic rather than an external mic. (This is not the recommended approach, merely an attempt to see if the problem is perhaps somehow hardware related.)

Tom,

I closed the program and opened it again. Then I unplugged the external mic and used the built in mic to record both parts at once. It worked fine.

Then I tried to record using the two parts button. This time I could record the first part but not replay it, that button never got active. As soon as I would release the space bar after finishing recording part 1, the dialogue box would disappear. That is what was happening to me yesterday when I first tried after looking at your video. I’ve tired multiple times, same result.

I have not succeeded today in getting the program to allow me to record and reply the two different parts separately or all together. Some how I did that once yesterday but now I’m not sure how.

Any more ideas?

Kathie

image001.jpg

Tom PS. I read the string on this topic from 2019. In case it makes a difference still, have a Latitude Dell laptop about 4 years old and only one external mic that my husband got with a ‘Nuance’ program for dictating about 5 years old.

Kathie

image001.jpg

Aha! The problem is that you are using the space bar to record in that dialog box. I need to either disable that or hook it up to work correctly in the dialog box. When you press the space bar to record, it’s actually being handled by the main window, so it’s treating it as a single-pass recording. It’s a little odd and surprising that when it finishes, the dialog closes at all, but anyway, that’s what’s happening. For now, until I get a fix published, instead of trying to use the keyboard shortcuts, just use the mouse pointer to press and hold the record buttons (and play buttons) in that dialog.

Hi Tom,

I tried as you instructed using the ‘mouse’ (thumb drive??) in my laptop. It worked perfectly. Thanks so much.

Kathie

image001.jpg

“Touch pad”, not “thumb drive”. I knew what you meant, just wanted to clarify in case someone else looks at this and gets confused.

Thanks. Kathie

image001.jpg

HearThis version 3.3.7 now fixes the problems with keyboard shortcuts in the Record Long Lines in Parts dialog box.

1 Like

Hi Tom, So if I go to the website and download this version, it won’t mess up the recording I am in the middle of?

Kathie

image001.jpg

It had better not!!! You should be fine.