New Google Play verification requirement for organizations

Google will be requiring a new verification method for organizations creating accounts in Google Play. Organizations will be required to provide a D-U-N-S number. Here are some excerpts from the article New policy update to boost trust and transparency on Google Play.

One of the many ways we keep Google Play a safe and trusted platform is by verifying the identity of developers and their payment information. This helps prevent the spread of malware, reduces fraud, and helps users understand who’s behind the apps they’re installing.

When you create a new Play Console developer account for an organization, you’ll now need to provide a D-U-N-S number. Assigned by Dun & Bradstreet, D-U-N-S numbers are unique nine-digit identifiers that are widely used to verify businesses.

If you’re not sure if your organization has a D-U-N-S number, you can check with Dun & Bradstreet or request one for free. The process can take up to 30 days, so we encourage you to plan ahead. Learn more.

Timeline
On August 31, we’ll start rolling out these requirements for anyone creating new Play Console developer accounts. Your “About the developer” section will be visible to users as soon as you publish a new app. Over the first couple of months, we’ll listen to feedback and refine the experience before expanding to existing developers.
In October, we’ll share more information with existing developers about how to update and verify existing accounts.

I am trying to find out from Google what organizations with multiple accounts should do. I did find information about Create and manage your Account Group. This seems to be Google’s way to handle an organization having multiple accounts.

Feel free to add any additional information you find as replies to this topic.

Thanks,

Chris Hubbard

Thank you for your information,
what should we do to fix that?

Thank you.

If you have an organization account, eventually you will need a D-U-N-S number. I would recommend following “request one for free” link and see what is required.

Chris

How do we know if we have a Organization account?
I created a Google Dev account with an email.

Intially, Google Play didn’t require that you specify whether the account was personal or organization. See Google Play Console Help document.

Voluntary opt-in period

Initially, selecting an account type was optional. However, sometime in October-December 2021 (date subject to change), owners of developer accounts who update their email address or phone number will be required to opt-in and provide the information for their chosen account type. We strongly encourage developers to voluntarily opt-in before this becomes mandatory. If you have not provided this information when it becomes mandatory, you may be blocked from using Play Console.

You can go to your Account details page and see if a type has been chosen. For example, this account has not be set yet:

Has anyone tried creating an organizational account? What organizations do count as such? I found (Verify your developer identity information - Play Console Help) the following:
If you create a developer account for an organization, and a Google Payments profile has not been verified, you will be required to provide the following information in Play Console as part of verifying your identity details:

D-U-N-S number
Official government identity document
Official organization document

I doubt if a non-chartered SIL OU can qualify as an organization. What to do in this case - ask the SIL Area to act as the organization for this purpose? Or is it better to choose a personal account?

If SIL International had an account, that could be used by multiple groups. But I don’t know who to ask.

I have the information about SIL.

Chris

1 Like

Thank you. So we can just fill in “SIL International” and get the information from you, when the time comes for the verification?
That would be very helpful.

Paulus