Publish failing with "Google Api Error: Unauthorized - Request is missing required authentication credential"

I have several reports of publishing to Google Play failing with this error:

/root/.rbenv/versions/2.7.1/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/fastlane-2.214.0/fastlane_core/lib/fastlane_core/ui/interface.rb:141:in `user_error!': \e[31m[!] Google Api Error: Unauthorized - Request is missing required authentication credential. Expected OAuth 2 access token, login cookie or other valid authentication credential. See https://developers.google.com/identity/sign-in/web/devconsole-project.\e[0m (FastlaneCore::Interface::FastlaneError)

I am looking into it and report back here what I find.

Thanks,
Chris

There is an open incident with the tool (Fastlane) that we use to call the Google Play APIs.

I have added detail to the issues.

Another related issue?

Chris

Fastlane has provided a work-around for now. If it fails the first time, then it retries.

The number of retries is defaulted by Scriptoria to 5 times. It can be configured by the
SUPPLY_UPLOAD_MAX_RETRIES publishing property.

I have you further problems with the publishing failing due to this issue (with the retries in place), please let me know.

Chris

This has been working for the most part. There have been a couple of apps that still failed with 5 retries (and they had to increase the retries … I haven’t heard yet if this worked).

I have submitted a support request to Google Play (they are slow to respond).

Thanks,

Chris

Good news. The project that failed yesterday with retries=5 , it ran again today with retries=12 but there were no failures. Maybe they have fixed the underlying problem?

Chris

From a Comment on the issue

I discussed with the Play team yesterday, and they had identified an issue which may have contributed to this issue. They believe they have now fixed this issue.

It isn’t confirmed that the issue that they identified and fixed was indeed the cause of the issue Fastlane has been experiencing, but we’d be interested to know whether users of Fastlane are now seeing an improvement, with no more failures, and no more need for retries?

This is promising and I am hoping the actual problem is fixed.

Chris