Use getperiph to pull in preface in Monoglot

I can pull in the prefaces in a diglot using this sequence in the local front matter:

\rem -------------------------------------------------------------------------
\periph Inline Prefaces|id="prefaces"
\zNeedOddPage
\resetpagenums -1
\dopagenums
\rem Prefaces are pulled in from the T1=L and T2=R INT books using periph
\zglot|L\*
\zgetperiph|side="L" id="preface"\*
\pagebreak
\zglot|R\*
\zgetperiph|side="R" id="preface"\*
\rem The next line never gets removed in diglots
\zglot|\*

Now I need to pull in the preface in a monoglot publication.

I tried this but it did not work:

\periph Inline Preface|id="preface"
\zNeedOddPage
\resetpagenums -1
\dopagenums
\rem Preface is pulled in from the INT book using periph
\zgetperiph|id="preface"\*
\pagebreak

How can I change this to make PTXPrint pull in the preface in my monoglot publication?

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

John Nystrom

My guess is that PTXprint is confused by a \periph called “preface” which is trying to import (another) \periph called by the same name “preface” from the INT book.

Try changing the first one to something else (like “prefaces” in the earlier example) to see if that solves the issue.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I changed it to id=“Intro” but that did not help.

JN

FYI - this turned out to be a stray/unwanted command referring to a diglot setting in the previous \periph section. Once that was removed, it all worked as advertised. The lesson learnt from this is that these files are fragile, and something in one section may even affect something else further down. The way to pinpoint the problem is to isolate it to a particular \periph, or combination of \periphs.

When naming periphs, please check the ‘defined names’ list in the USFM standard. Also avoid the names used in making covers: coverspine, coverfront (The standard name, cover is used on the front if this is not defined), coverback and coverwhole, unless they are actually what you want to define.

Please do note while you can make use of previously stored periphs with \zgetperiph, that is not something in the standard. Also, note that you cannot nest a periph, and I have no idea if you can use zgetperiph to include a periph that contains another zgetperiph. It might get nasty. Also, periphs are not nesting. (And there is no \+periph)