Using "Picture Story Books" for things without pictures

I didn’t want to hijack another thread, so this continues a discussion from here: Difference in 3rd column of timing files between using letters vs. numbers - #4 by NeilZubot

I have a Bible Module where each section of the story is divided up into different “pages/chapters” in the app, but where the audio recording is a single file. If possible, I’d like to use the single audio rather than go to the work of dividing it into individual files.

As far as I can tell, if I change the type of book from “Default” to “Picture Story Book”, it allows me to use a single file but doesn’t cause any other problems. In particular, if I don’t define any pictures then it doesn’t show anything in the upper half of the screen. So visually it looks just like it did when it was set to “Default”.

My question–Is there any disadvantage or unforeseen consequence to making it into a Picture Story Book?

Hi @mjames,
Yeah that’s right, if you don’t define any pictures in the Picture Story Book the text will appear at the top of the screen without a picture present.

In the past (3 or 4 years ago) I have had some issues with using a single audio file in a Picture Story Book containing multiple pages and synchronised audio. The problem was that the automatic page turning done by SAB would not always flip the the pages exactly in the silence between a phrase at the end of a page and the phrase beginning the next page. To resolve this, I used the fine-tune timing tool to manually make adjustments to the timings of the silence where the pages flip. But it was a bit tedious. I believe the problem was somewhat linked the phone being used. An older slower phone would be less accurate in turning the page in the silence between phrases.

Now I’m not sure if the auto page turning is still an issue with SAB. You could test it out. If it still is an issue you could make sure that there is a bit of extra space between the phrases where a page flip occurs. Or you could divide your audio into separate files :).

Other than that, I don’t see any other disadvantages/unforeseen consequences to making it into a Picture Story Book.

Hope that helps

Thank. That’s all helpful to know.