Would like sample USFM format Paratext file

Hi, I am new to all this and am not a translator but attempting to build an Android app using the SIL-Scripture App Builder. If I can get all this to work, we will be using this tool for a new Bible translation for people of N. Africa. Others will do the translation, I am attempting to provide the technical support to build the Android application.

I have installed the Scripture App Builder in my Linux Ubuntu 16.04 machine and now attempting to build an app using the guide called “Building Your First App”. It is one of the vimeo videos. I am now at the screen to Add Books. Can someone tell me where I can download a sample book file in the correct format. Any translation is fine, English please. I would like to evaluate the Scripture App Builder with both text and audio eventually.

Thanks,
Ray

You can check out the “Translation for Translators” http://ebible.org/t4t/. The USFM version is available for download here: http://ebible.org/t4t/eng-t4t_usfm.zip. I’ve never used it T4T in SAB, but it is in USFM and I assume it should work.

You can also use the “World English Bible” http://ebible.org/web/. The USFM files are available for download here: https://ebible.org/Scriptures/eng-web_usfm.zip.

One advantage to use WEB is that there are recordings of the NT available also: http://ebible.org/web/mp3/ENGWEBN2DA.zip

Chris

2 Likes

Thank you very much Chris and Jeff. You provided exactly what I was looking for. I have selected sample text files from both and placed them in my Book List. I am having problems with Java and setting the JDK Location on my linux Ubuntu machine. When I get that problem fixed, I should be able to make some sample apps!

Thanks again,

Ray

This is odd that you would have to set the jdk location. It normally finds it automatically (since it install openjdk-8). I will look into that.

if you are on 64-bit system, it should be: /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-amd64.
It will work with oracle java as well would would be: /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle.

Which version of Ubuntu are you using?

Hi Chris,
Thanks for taking interest in my Java problem. I am running 16.04 with Kernel 4.4.0-119.

Here are the results of two commands:
java -version
java version “1.8.0_161”
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_161-b12)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.161-b12, mixed mode)

readlink -f $(which java)
/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/bin/java

When I run the App Builder and click Tools Settings, it accepts a JDK Location of /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle however when I click on Build Android App, I get the following >> “Before building the app, please do the following: Message_Build_Valid_JDK_Version”.

I have used sudo update-alternatives --config java and set to different Java versions.

There are 3 choices for the alternative java (providing /usr/bin/java).

Selection Path Priority Status

0 /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/bin/java 1081 auto mode
1 /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java 1081 manual mode

• 2 /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/bin/java 1081 manual mode
    3 /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10.0.1/bin/java 1010 manual mode

I have tried all 4 of the above but only find that /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle will allow the setting. For example, If I choose java-1.8.0-openjdk-amd64 , when I click open, it get "JDK not found in /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-amd64.

I am not sure what to try next and I do appreciate your willingness to help!

Thanks,

Ray

It could be that you only have the JRE and not the JDK. I am still surprised when installing scripture-app-builder, that it didn’t also install openjdk-8-jre and openjdk-8-jdk.

Can you do this and include the output:

apt policy openjdk-8-jre and openjdk-8-jdk

To attempt to re-install, I would do:

apt install openjdk-8-jre openjdk-8-jdk

And the set the JDK Location to:

/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.8.0-openjdk-amd64

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks again for your interest, help and encouragement. Below is the results of the commands:

ray@QuadCore:~$ apt policy openjdk-8-jre
openjdk-8-jre:
Installed: 8u162-b12-0ubuntu0.16.04.2
Candidate: 8u162-b12-0ubuntu0.16.04.2
Version table:
*** 8u162-b12-0ubuntu0.16.04.2 500
500 link to /us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64 Packages
500 link to /security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
8u77-b03-3ubuntu3 500
500 link to /us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages

ray@QuadCore:~$ apt policy openjdk-8-jdk
openjdk-8-jdk:
Installed: (none)
Version table:
8u162-b12-0ubuntu0.16.04.2 500
500 link to /us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64 Packages
500 link to/security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/main amd64 Packages
8u77-b03-3ubuntu3 500
500 link to /us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages

Note, I replaced http with link to so that I could send this.
Ray

OK. You need openjdk-8-jdk installed for SAB to work.

Chris

Hi Chris,
I installed openjdk-8-jdk and now when attempting to launch SAB, I get:

ray@QuadCore:~$ scripture-app-builder %u
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.sil.app.builder.common.AppBuilder (file:/usr/share/scripture-app-builder/bin/scripture-app-builder.jar) to field java.lang.ClassLoader.sys_paths
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.sil.app.builder.common.AppBuilder
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release

SCRIPTURE APP BUILDER
Version 4.4
Build Release 3 (15-Mar 2018)

By the way, I now get the following response:
ray@QuadCore:~$ apt policy openjdk-8-jdk
openjdk-8-jdk:
Installed: 8u162-b12-0ubuntu0.16.04.2
Version table:
*** 8u162-b12-0ubuntu0.16.04.2 500
500 link to/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates/main amd64 Packages
500 link to/security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
8u77-b03-3ubuntu3 500
500 link to/us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages

Do you have suggestions what I should try next? I could do another sudo update-alternatives --config java
and set to a different version. I have tried both 1 and 2 of the following and neither will allow SAB to work.

0 /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java 1081 auto mode

• 1 /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java 1081 manual mode
    2 /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre/bin/java 1081 manual mode
    3 /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-10.0.1/bin/java 1010 manual mode

Ray

@Raysir, Please see private message about setting up time to investigate your issue.

Hello Chris,

Thank you for providing this valuable resource. Is there a Table Of Contents inside or do I need to make one myself?

I added the Bible but am not sure of the next step.

@Giraffe, you don’t need a table of contents since there is book and chapter navigation built in at the top of the app.