Glossary with Audio

I have raised this issue before, but don’t yet have a solution. Maybe someone out there has figured one out.

Our app has a glossary with 70+ entries, and lots of links to glossary items within the main body of the books. It also has an audio file - one long file - labelled “GLO-01”.

SCENARIO 1: Glossary has no “verse” numbers, just lots of mini paragraphs with letters as section headings, viz.

\id GLO
\mt1 Cibia
\s A
\mi \k Abboggela\k* blah, blah, blah.
\mi \k Alha.\k* Blah, blah.
\s B
\mi \k Beye gho suda mekee kuzhaelhizhae.\k* Blah…
Links from the main text to the glossary works nicely.
Audio downloads fine, but you can only listen to it from the beginning to the end. Problem 1: Hitting >> takes you to the next sentences, but hitting >>| does not take you to the next section. You can only advance one sentence at a time.
Problem 2: Doing a word search will show up glossary items, but when you try to go to the item, unlike where a word appears in a verse and it takes you directly to that verse, it just takes you to the beginning of the glossary.

SCENARIO 2: Each item in the glossary is given a “verse” number. (Chapter numbers are hidden.) Like this:
\id GLO
\mt1 Cibia
\s A
\mi \v 1 \k Abboggela\k* blah, blah, blah.
\mi \v 2 \k Alha.\k* Blah, blah.
\s B
\mi \v 3 \k Beye gho suda mekee kuzhaelhizhae.\k* Blah…

When doing a word search, the app takes you straight to that entry in the glossary, solving Problem 2 above. You can also easily listen to the audio for that entry, effectively solving Problem 1.
New Problem: None of the glossary links appear in the main text. They are simply not there. So Scenario 2 is not an option, and we are stuck with Problems 1 and 2. Does anyone have a work-around for this?

Can you put the glossary and at least one book with Glossary links in it in a google Drive folder along with the audio for both. I will have a look and see. Share with ian_mcquay@sil.org.

Ian

Hi Ian, I’ve sent you an email with a DropBox link. I hope that will be OK for the purposes.

Roselle

Hi Roselle,

My project also has Glossary with audio clips. My answer may not be what you are looking for. But, what I have done is that each Glossary entry that has Audio clip has its own separate mp3 file. Playing them individually in the ‘book’ of Glossary works fine. But playing it in a pop-up window (when that reference is the result of a search) causes either crash in Android or display of the mp3 file name in a pop-up window in iOS. So, I am waiting for a solution on this situation.

Bayar

Thank you, Bayar. Maybe I will chop my glossary audio file up by letter of the alphabet, e.g. one file for “A”, one for “B” etc, and see what happens.

Roselle :slight_smile:

Hi Roselle,

I would even chop the audio file further by individual entries, so each keyword will have one audio clip file.

Bayar

But if I do that I will get the same crash that you are getting…

I would follow the documentation in 2. Building Apps, Section 3.8 on how to format your glossary.

I am asking how audio should be formatted for glossary entries.

Chris

Dear Chris,

I have followed the instruction and I just double checked it. The only difference is that my Glossary file is named \id GLO - Mongolian Standard Version, with the addition of ‘- Mongolian Standard Version.’ Should this be deleted and leave only ‘GLO’?

Bayar

Thanks, Chris. My glossary is formatted fine. It’s the audio links that are the problem. Hope we can come up with a solution soon - though I am thinking about publishing as is.

Blessings!
Roselle

Bayar, I currently have one audio file for the entire glossary, called GLO-1.
How do you label your Glossary audio clips, so that SAB plays the correct mp3 file for the glossary entry?

Roselle

Hi Roselle,

I saved each file with the Glossary headword name. For example: Abraham.mp3 under the headword ‘Abraham.’ In the book of Glossary, clicking each of the words plays correctly and fine. The problem comes when clicking it in a pop-up window.

Pls see here two screenshots.

I hope this helps you.

Bayar

@Bayar_Garam, is “COHCOX” the word for listen? Just curious…

I debugged both iOS and Android issues with audio clips in annotation popups. I have fixed them both and this will be available in the next release.

Chris

That’s great, Chris! But it doesn’t solve my problem with word search to a glossary entry. To reiterate: When I select a word in word search, instead of going to that glossary entry it goes to the beginning of the glossary. (My glossary is in one SFM file.)

This is not an audio issue per se. So should I start a new topic for discussing this?

Thanks!
Roselle

@Roselle_Dobbs, that is a different topic. I believe that you have brought this up while working on a separate issue. It really helps us to keep the issues separate. That way we can track them separately. It gets confusing otherwise. :slight_smile:

FYI, when I search for a word that I know is in the glossary, it doesn’t show up in the results. Only uses of that word that are in scripture text. What is the Book Type of your Glossary–is it set to “Glossary”?

Good question, Chris. It is set to Glossary. Will start a new topic.

R

Yes, “сонсох” means listen in Mongolian.

Bayar, I am experimenting with audio clips in my glossary. Question: Are your audio clip files stored online, or are they packaged within the app itself?

Thanks!
Roselle

Dear Roselle,

They are packaged in the app. I tried to make them as small as possible mp3 files.

Regards,
Bayar