How to handle timing files for verses numbers already split

I have a SAB audio synchronization project where there is already a split verse in the text, i.e.:

\c 8

\nb \v 1a Wo Sool onamaŋ soo ti ɗoŋ îide Etiyeŋ me.

\s Sool ti ɗoŋ ogiyso ti suma kʼIsa

\p \v 1b A onniyo gettiyo batum ɗuwo an diʼn iise dabirsa ɓaadaŋ ki ɗoŋ ogiyso ti suma kʼIsa a Zeruzalem. Kane pay geŋ an di-tiipe kʼadda siiɗo Ziide ti Samari, a Zeruzalem i dʼuupe ɗoŋ zina kʼIsa siidaŋ. 
\v 2 Ɗoŋ i seeɗu

SAB/Aeneas divided the verses like this:

1a|Wo Sool onamang soo ti
s1|Sool ti dong ogiyso ti
1b=a|A onniyo gettiyo batum
1b=b|Kane pay geng an di-ti

This didn’t seem to work, so I tried re numbering the phrases file like this:

1a|Wo Sool onamang soo ti
s1|Sool ti dong ogiyso ti
1b|A onniyo gettiyo batum
1c|Kane pay geng an di-ti

I can fine-tune the timings then, but when built into the app, the verse labeled as 1c doesn’t get highlighted (I guess since 1a and 1b exist, but 1c doesn’t). I tried putting the phrase and timings verse numbers back the way they were, but then none of the 1a, 1b verses are highlighted in the app.

What’s the right way to do this?

Ping… This is pretty much the last change that I need to make on this app, so can someone help me resolve this?

Jeff, sorry this is giving you trouble - send me that sfm file and your mp3 for that chapter and let me have a go at it.

(Thanks Corey for looking at that…)
A similar issue:

\v 5 A ume geŋ munɗa kʼarmika soo toŋ yi kʼiine yi kʼize ye, wo yʼan di ziipe miŋ beezí a ɗoŋ kʼeeni miibi ɗaŋŋal, an dʼuune bee.
\v 6 Wo Isa yi nuukiso eedí kono kane an ki ziipe addaŋ a yode ye.
\s Agisa ki sanalliyagi kane koomat makumu sire
\r (Matiye 9.35; 10.1,5-14; Lik 9.1-6)
\p Saŋ maŋ Isa yʼan izire pay illiyagi ɗoŋ i-ɗuule Nazaret geŋ me.
\v 7 Maŋ yʼa-wiike \w sanalliyagi\w* kane koomat makumu sire, yʼan ikkipe sire sire, wo yʼan dʼele toogo ki lommite siitanɗani ɗoŋ an tʼooney a ɗaanadaŋ,

Verse 6 has an \s in the middle of it. In both the fine-tuning, and in the final app, the entire verse 6 is highlighted both while the first part is being read (then the highlighting of all of v6 is turned off for the reading of the section heading, which is highlighted) and while the second part of v6 is read.

So verse 6 is being properly highlighted while it is being read, but it’s just a bit weird to have both the parts before and after the \s highlighted at the same time. The current behavior is certainly acceptable, but if you have a suggestion how the verse could be split, I would be open to that. (Could I manually introduce 6a, 6b? If so, would I manuallyl change the SFM text file and/or the phrase file?)

I am not that good with giving the general rule, I usually just hammer at the exceptions until they do what I want them to! Send me this as well and I’ll take a look - although from just the text it looks hairy.

Thanks to @Corey_Garrett for his help tracking down these problems. The first problem (the most important for me to fix) was solved apparently simply by upgrading from SAB 7.0.2 to 7.1. I had somehow forgotten to install that update. I didn’t really see anything in the release notes that directly applies, but I’m just happy that it’s working now.

The second problem can be solved by actually changing the text (if you are willing to do that) so that the two parts of the verse are labelled a & b:

\v 6a Wo Isa yi nuukiso eedí kono kane an ki ziipe addaŋ a yode ye.
\s Agisa ki sanalliyagi kane koomat makumu sire
\r (Matiye 9.35; 10.1,5-14; Lik 9.1-6)
\p
\v 6b Saŋ maŋ Isa yʼan izire pay illiyagi ɗoŋ i-ɗuule Nazaret geŋ me.

Note that the addition of the second half verse number should be on the next line, on a separate line from the \p paragraph marker. If you are working with the translation team and they are willing to make those changes directly in the text, that probably would be best. In my case, the text has already been published and sent to the DBL, so I’m just making those changes in the text locally in SAB. (Kind of dangerous, since any future updates to the text would probably wipe out those manual changes…)

Just a note: There was also a point at which the apps were working fine for Corey (with proper text highlighting), but not for me. It turns out that I was always just updating the app, using the automatic install and run app from SAB (which is genius!), but there must have been something that wasn’t getting updated with that update process, and there was still this highlighting problem. When I uninstalled the app and then installed it from scratch, it started working. I don’t know what that was about, but I mention it here in case it helps someone else down the line.

Some additional information here… You do not need to add the verse number a & b designations in the actual Paratext SFM file. You can just add them in the phrases file. So this is an example of what I see in a phrases file:

3|Kane an un isa ingkino kono nung ti Meega an ay kiʼn zuune ye.
4|Wo de suldi geng nʼun tiʼn ruute kono aame onniyo tʼiina mang, kun dʼelka a ono dong nʼun ruute.
s1|Naabo kʼUnde Kamilen̰
4|Nung nʼun ki ruute tʼume kʼeesiyo yeʼng kono nung ti kune.
5a|Angkeng ni-kime kʼume wede i nʼigibo, wo ti diinagung wede a ni tonde umbo, yʼa tʼeese:

@richard There seems to be a bug in creating the phrase file, (hypothesis) that if the section before the \s does not get broken up, then SAB doesn’t use the a & b notation, even if the verse continues after the \s. If the portion of the verse before the \s does get broken up, then it seems to work fine, as in this example:

38a|Mang Pilat yʼa tunde Isa, yʼede:
38b|Wo derec, i-kaza moo me?
s7|Pilat ti deero Yawudiyagi
38c|Aame Pilat yʼa ti ruute ingkino mang yʼa tʼiiziga, yʼa tʼudde kʼume Yawudiyagi sey.
38d|Yʼiideʼng yʼan di ruute, yʼede:
38e|Nung me, a tukki wede eng munda ulsu ni kʼuune ye.

So for now, in those cases, I am manually inserting a & b after the verse number in the phrases. In the example above it becomes:

4a|Wo de suldi geng nʼun tiʼn ruute kono aame onniyo tʼiina mang, kun dʼelka a ono dong nʼun ruute.
s1|Naabo kʼUnde Kamilen̰
4b|Nung nʼun ki ruute tʼume kʼeesiyo yeʼng kono nung ti kune.

And I adjust the timing file as well, to add a & b on those verse numbers.

Hopefully that’s clear but feel free to ask if it isn’t.

1 Like